Silk for my Heddon

sundrunk

sundrunk

I've got this minty Heddon bamboo rod. I'm condidering putting a silk line on it. I've messed around with Cortland SYLK line, which trys to simulate the real thing. It's ok...Anyone fish bamboo and have an opinon about going silk..

Sundrunk,

IMO, you will be happy with the Cortland SYLK lines. If you're going to fish it a lot I would look for an old line in good shape and re-finish the line (they are different). What Heddon do you have?

joee

i can cast further(but that is not saying much)with silk,but it is expensive.however i have only one silk line and one has to either dry it halfway through a fishing day or switch reels.

i have heard ok reviews of the chinese silk lines by zhu on ebay.they are discussed over at clarks classic fly rod forum.much cheaper than terenzio, phoinix or thebault lines.

There are some good articles on silk lines at the link listed below.

http://www.overmywaders.com/index.php?essays

Good Luck,
Rolf

I was hoping someone would repley. I don't think a lot of guys are fishing cane; much less silk lines these days..It's a shame, because they have no idea what there missing..

I hit the Letort today and managed to catch a 8" on a #12 egg-laying stone fly. I was using my Wes Jordan 7'6" with a SYLK line. I like the SYLK early season. When it gets hot it tends to get a little tacky though...I just ordered a Pheonix...I looked at a line from China on ebay. I just wasn't confident enough to order it. I'm sure there fine. With the Pheonix I should get years of service out of it for sure.

My new Heddon is a #14 Thorobred 3/2 - 8' - #6...It's so sweet when you crack open the tube. I love the smell of spar varnish. The rod is minty. This is why I wanted a silk line; for the Heddon. The silk will go well with my Orvis too..

Back