SHWAPF FLY

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

Yeah i'm the begining fly tyer from 2 threads down. Was looking at one of the links sent to me and saw the SHWAPF (Swept hackle, wingless, all purpose fly).
http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/beginners/part9.html
Looks easy and def something i can handle as a new tyer. Just wondering what everyone elses take is on it.

Personally I think it is an ugly fly and I wouldn't bother tying it of fishing it (all though trout have been known to take some ridiculous looking flies).
However, if it increases your skill level and confidence than go for it. I have 200 flies sitting here that were my learning tools, and those flies will never see water.

Looks like a very effective still water fly as well as a decent immitation for a caddis pupae. I wouldn't turn it down because its ugly. Thats a dumb reason. I also believe, while i've never seen them, that many of those 200 flies would work just fine. If I thought that way, There would never be more than a half dozen flies in my box at any one time. And my desk would be really cluttered

Looks like a nice, standard wet fly pattern. They can be deceptively hard to tie. Getting the hackles to distribute evenly around the hook can take some practice.

However, I am big believer in simple patterns like that one.

tomgambler,
I am not saying that my fies are useless, but I am sort of a perfectionist. Plus, I don't have any excess room in my chestpack for those flies. Ugly flies work and work great, they probably look more buggy that "normal" flies. In addition, fish often become accustom to flies and a change with something different is welcomed by the trout.
My comments were more on the light-hearted side and not offensive.

I wasn't accusing you of being offensive...I was accusing you of being, just what you said, too much of a perfectionist.

Back