Shuck from Brodhead Creek

Millsertime

Millsertime

I noticed several of these long black shucks left on rocks near the bank on the Brodhead Creek, Monroe County this morning. Can anybody id them?

Attachments

• 20130803_095531.jpg
    20130803_095531.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 9
Isonychia - Slate Drake. Many to most crawl and swim to exposed rocks to hatch. Some can and do hatch along the way and make it to the surface before adventure to the rocks. Thats why you don't see alot of Isonychia emerger patterns. But duns do produce so they must hatch mid river at times.

They're swimmer nymphs so stripping a nymph pattern towards the bank, especially through an eddy or slower water, can be productive...or so I've heard.

Thanks. Makes sense as slate drakes are the primary mayfly now on the brodhead. I didn't know they were primarily rock hatchers tho.

I did well on deer hair emergers for Isos on the upper D...fish were absolutely inhaling them...and I did witness one pop out of its shuck on the water. They can be a different color when they hatch. The ones I saw looked tannish...when I ran out of flies I used big march brown chutes (Penns style) and got into fish as well.
This wasn't the case on other waters though were only big wets got the nod with some strippage

Back