Shout out !

A

AndyP

With all of the discussion about the OT Forum and breakdown of civility I wanted to give a shout out to the participants in the Fly Tying forum. If you haven't spent any time in there you should check it out. The encouragement and support that is shared in that forum is what this community is all about. I'm feeling inspired to dig out my Renzetti and my moth eaten box of stuff and start trying to tie some flies again. I really enjoy scrolling thru everyone's work. Keep it up.

I don't tie much (just out of necessity and they're ugly!), but I often browse that forum just to look at the pictures of the ties. Amazing stuff!

For me fly tying season is January into March. I go to the fly show in Somerset and load up on supplies.

It's a great forum and it's how I got started tying. It's how I hooked up with Gencon who is a great teacher.

Otherwise, I wonder if the "What are you tying thread" would be better if it was broken down by month as in "November Flies" etc.

RCFetter wrote:
It's a great forum and it's how I got started tying. It's how I hooked up with Gencon who is a great teacher.

Otherwise, I wonder if the "What are you tying thread" would be better if it was broken down by month as in "November Flies" etc.

Early in teh month. You could always start an October thread?

franklin wrote:

Early in teh month. You could always start an October thread?

Thanks Franklin but it's a decision the forum would have to make b/c it requires opening and closing a thread every month and then storing the old threads somewhere.

Just start an October thread in the fly tying section. If it gains traction there are several ways to work it. Could be added to the long thread periodically. Maybe other creative ways to work it.

I'm sure the mods can accommodate a little extra work for a popular idea. Hey they have lot's of free time on their hands now that OT is off. :)

I heartily agree with the OP!

Best thing that happened to me when I decided to take up fly fishing and tying a couple years ago was going to both a Newbie and Tying Jam and meeting people like Tyger, GenCon, DC410, Lv2nymph and others. This year I made my first Spring Jam.

You could not ask for a better group of people willing to share their knowledge and to spend time with on the stream. GenCon has especially been giving of his time and experience in all things 'fly.'

I've not only had a great time but made some lifetime friends.

Back