Should I drop a dime on them?

ryanh

ryanh

The township has a property by my house that they are using for "clean fill" and staging equipment. It is on a wetland and they just keep dumping. There is no erosion control, and they just keep growing the pile. If I did this at work I would at the very least get a notice of violation if not an imeadiate cease and desist. The fact that it is a municipality doing this just makes it worse in my eyes. The adjacent stream is just a local #censor# crick but again, if I did it I would be in big trouble. Should I report them?

Tough question, and this type of thing bothers me, too.

I mean, if I did something like that on my own farm, the state could crack down on me.

But consider that if they do get fined, you will pay for at least part of it in higher property taxes.

If it was me, I likely would go directly to the township supervisor first and inform him of the error in his ways.

Being a turd run, I might not.

Report the filling in of wetlands to PA DEP.

I didn't notice the wetland part.

So, if it is in Troutbert's township, I'd turn then in. In my own township, I may talk to them first. :p

I'd light their vehicles and equipment on fire just for ruining my duck hunting hole.

Yes duck foot It is my happy hunting grounds.

Tried that once in Wrightsville. Never got any response from a few agencies. They filled a quarry/wetland with foundry materials. It's only about 50 yards from the town reservoir. If it happens really fast you have reason to be suspect. This one happened over the span of a couple weeks.

Sounds like yours is slower and less deliberate.

RyanH,
I turn such cases into the PFBC local WCO or his/her regional headquarters. They investigate such cases and will take over the coordination with other agencies if needed.
Mike

The concern about harming your own municipality is worth considering. As noted go to township administrator and express your concerns, Tell them you will go to DER and PFBC if they do not adequately explain or correct their actions. The law should be a last resort unless you know in advance that your direct approach will be ignored.

Jack's advice is good, particularly when the source of the problem is a (often cash-strapped) municipality or township. Let them know your concern in a low profile and non-threatening way.

I would only add that quite a few of these situations have already been through the legal system and there is often a consent decree in place that mandates the polluter correct the problem by a certain date. The problem with these consent decrees is that they sometimes are extended and re-extended and on and on without final remedial or corrective action being taken. When this is the case, the entire thing sometimes stagnates and more drastic action (or at least the suggestion that such action might be considered) may be in order. Often, just the implication that such action may be considered is enough to get things moving again.

When I see pollution or stream channelization I just call the relevant agency, without the slightest hesitation.

I see that as my role as a citiizen. And the role of the PFBC WCO or DEP employee is to take it from there.

There is nothing vindictive or personal in any way about this.

In most cases I do not know the person or people involved, and I don't see it as being about them.

It's about the environment.

There are laws in place to protect streams, water quality, wetlands, etc. I support those laws. I think they are justified. So when I see them violated I make the phone call, and hand it over to the agencies whose job it is to deal with that.

I've done this many times. In most cases, the response is quite appropriate to the situation, not heavy handed or excessively punitive.

It's not about punishment, it's about changing their behavior, to protect the environment. In many of these cases someone from the PFBC and/or DEP just TALKS to them about what the law requires, they stop, end of story. No fine or anything.

In other cases there might be a small fine, just so they know it's really about a violation of the law, and not just a chat.

troutbert wrote:
When I see pollution or stream channelization I just call the relevant agency, without the slightest hesitation.

I see that as my role as a citiizen. And the role of the PFBC WCO or DEP employee is to take it from there.

There is nothing vindictive or personal in any way about this.

In most cases I do not know the person or people involved, and I don't see it as being about them.

It's about the environment.

There are laws in place to protect streams, water quality, wetlands, etc. I support those laws. I think they are justified. So when I see them violated I make the phone call, and hand it over to the agencies whose job it is to deal with that.

I've done this many times. In most cases, the response is quite appropriate to the situation, not heavy handed or excessively punitive.

It's not about punishment, it's about changing their behavior, to protect the environment. In many of these cases someone from the PFBC and/or DEP just TALKS to them about what the law requires, they stop, end of story. No fine or anything.

In other cases there might be a small fine, just so they know it's really about a violation of the law, and not just a chat.

^ Agree completely and couldn't have said it better.

You could also contact your County Conservation District. I'm sure they would check it out as they are generally a complaint driven organization. They could be the ones to get the ball rolling and contact other agencies if they would need to be involved.

troutbert wrote:

Would you still do that if you were not a rich bastage who can afford to pay higher property taxes?

Relax, I am just messing with you.

I still might discuss it with them directly. If they ignore me, then I might call in the swamp Nazis.

If it is blatant and bad enough, then I skip the first part, right after selling the house. LOL!

I personally take the indirect approach and simply inform the relevant state agency. Last time I tried the direct approach the fire marshal sent me a ticket for having my house number not visible. Good news he wrote it up for the side entrance and my front door had a highly visible number conforming to code. I've known neighbors who made complaints and got the payback when the streets were plowed. Or not so much in their case.

Back