Shopping for a Wading Jacket

ThePharmacist

ThePharmacist

I have the itch to spend a few bucks on a wading jacket. I have my sights set on a Simms G3 or Guide Jacket ($350-$400) but not 100% convinced I shouldn't go for something like Cabelas offers with their Guidewear for around $200.

If anyone has used either of these products or something similar let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

As many issues I have with Simms and their customer service for waders, I don't think you could go wrong with the G3. I've had mine for probably 7 or 8 seasons now and just love it. It actually does was it is advertised to do, unlike their "Classic Guide" jacket that I returned to them and replaced with the G3 because the cuffs didn't even slow down the water coming into the sleeves.

Overall, I think all wading jackets are built about equally, until you get to the cuffs at the end of the sleeves. All companies claim theirs are nearly waterproof, but of the ones I've tried (orvis, other simms, cabelas) and folks I've talked to, the G3 is the only one that really does keep water out, which is probably the most important feature in a wading jacket for me. Nothing worse than being nice and dry, except for the bottom third of your sleeves on a cold winter day.

The only improvement they can make to the G3 is to make the hood detachable, as I think it's more in the way than useful.

Just my two cents.

There are some deals on wading jackets here: Link

i'd encourage you take alook-see at patagonia and LL bean jackets, too.

out of the 8 years I have had my Patagonia SST jacket I love it and you cant beat it IMHO!

Look at HARDY. Their jackets offer more than any other and are a little cheaper than Simms. Nothing wrong with Simms, i own many of their products but the Hardy jacket is hard to beat.

Patagonia is the best jacket you can get imo. I live in Erie and do alot of steelheading and it is the most important piece of gear I can have with me in the winter.

Good Info. I will continue to decide throughout the summer and set my goal to have something ready for Fall Steelheading in Erie. I'm leaning towards the Simms G3. Have not seen the Patagonia in person yet though.

Back