Shooting Heads

StudentofTheStream

StudentofTheStream

How many of you guys utilize shooting heads for any type of fly fishing. I've been thinking about getting some shooting line and perhaps a couple different types of heads for fishing in the surf or casting for steelhead from the lake shore.

I have heard of issues with the loops they put on but I figured I would just make my own welded loops to mitigate those issues.

Any thoughts from you surf guys or anyone else?

I have a set mini shooting heads and I only really use them for fishing deep from the kayak or float tube. I have an intermediate line and I just put that spool on the reel unless I really need to go deep and right now.

Never had a loop problem. Got mine on sale. Orvis...I don't think they even make them any more. Get some lead core line and make your own.

I've been kicking around making my own Tom but as far as using lead core to do so I'm at a loss. Is there a fly line company that sells a lead core fly line or are you referring to something like a lead core trolling line?

If so I'm not sure how you would build the weighted front end out of that. Any suggestions?

I was thinking of building floating and intermediate heads out of some cheap DT lines.

I was just talking about making some mini lead-heads you could pop on to fish deeper. If you are looking for a multi-tip line system, I'd just buy one.

orvis has one
I thought Cabelas sold one but I can't find it...

Use amnesia for running line-no coils
Sc. anglers use to carry different densities-
a very ,very good trick is to get two sizes bigger than your rod and you can cut some off the back[not tippet end] making the head shorter-cuts down on wind resistance and makes it easier to cast-
I use to use shooting heads exclusively on big rivers in Montana-didn't even own any regular lines for my 7 and 8 weights.
Once you get use to them you wonder why everyone doesn't
[because they are meant to cast halfway across the Susky]
a little much for yellow breeches.lol

Try this line 30 bucs can't go wrong
http://www.albrightflyfish.com/fly-lines/xxt-intermediate-lines.html

I built my own for years by cutting regular fly lines up. also did line spliceing to make custom lines. I like the rio heads now. with cortland braided mono for shooting line, no tangles and goes a country mile.

Rio has a bulk Tungsten line and Cortland sells a sinking head kit where you make your own lengths. Lake Erie Ultimate Anglers up here in Erie stocks it. Look for the contact on the fly shop link

Cortland also sells lead core by the rolls, or if a dealers carries it it sells by the foot

Back