Sherman's Creek in Perry County

B

billm67

I travel along this creek quite often. Does anyone on the forum fish Sherman's Creek in Perry County out along route 850?

Sherman's is worth exploring, it's a favorite of mine.

(This thread will be moved to the Locations forum shortly as we strive to keep this forum for specific fishing reports. Thanks,
DW)

Sherman's is great for many species of fish. I don't think you will get much from the guys on the forum on this stream.
If I was you, I'd explore it.

I wasn't sure where the appropriate place would be to post this. Sherman's Creek just looks like it would great little creek to explore.

I would definitely advise spending time getting to know this one. I used to live in Carlisle, and fished it often. There are a lot of interesting tributaries that contribute to the mix of species there. In one stretch, you can have excellent smb, pickerel, panfishing, and the next, you may find wild and stocked trout. I'm not giving out specifics since discovering these things on your own is half of the fun.

It's funny you mentioned one of the tributaries because I have been thinking about fishing one of them. I shoot cowboy matches at the Ickesburg Sportsman's Club and have often thought about fishing Panther Creek...the small creek that runs along the club. There are several things that make me believe that could be an interesting stream to fish.

Shermans Creek is a very diverse fishery. I wish I had more time to fish it. From its headwaters to the mouth there are many, many miles of stream to explore and I certainly would recommend doing that. It has some really good structure in some areas of its lower reaches that provide some great Smallmouth habitat. Last I fished it was last July and caught some average size smallies and had an absolute blast busting big Fallfish on top on poppers. Panther Creek out of Ickesburg is a tributary to the Big Buffalo Creek not Shermans.

I really like Sherman's Creek as a canoe trip adventure. Most of the year it is too low, but when there is enough water, I really like it.

Perry County is very secluded. I really haven't spent much time fishing there other than canoeing but I think it has a lot of potential for time spent exploring Pennsylvania.

Back