Shenandoah

k-bob

k-bob

Can get away to SNP briefly on an upcoming trip. I like brookies and small streams, have the Murray book for stream ideas, gear for little streams, etc. Curious if anyone has any big picture thoughts on how a small steep SNP stream might differ from my usual NEPA ones? My guesses are more wildlife, maybe less rhodo, probably more fishing visits (for ex more trails when streams are near roads). Any thoughts appreciated, no time to optimize this but will look for a few fish. Thanks

I'm not sure there is more wildlife but the rest is pretty accurate. I'd say the cover that holds trout is almost exclusively boulders and plunge pools and there is very little in the way of woody cover. Won't really change how you fish it but I always found that interesting.

There have been major problems with low fall/winter flows and anchor ice the past few years. As a result many streams are on a down cycle right now. The larger ones, and smaller ones that were ridiculously overpopulated to begin with, will treat you better. Avoid Hazel, Brokenback, N Fork Thornton and Piney, and all west slope streams except for Big Run and Jeremys Run.

For a quick trip I'd recommend picking between Staunton, Rapidan, Conway, Pocosin, Rose, Hogcamp, Hughes, Whiteoak Canyon (Robinson on the maps), and Cedar. All very good and easily accessible by SNP standards (Rapidan is a very rough drive in to the middle but you can also easily hike up from the bottom - will take a while to reach the trouty water though).

Also be mindful of water temps on hot days. Here in VA it is much warmer than NE PA. Rain has been plentiful this summer, though.

Thanks sarce very good info. Will watch the water temps.

K-Bob-

Basically what Sarce said. I also really like the N. Fk. Moorman's up past Sugar Hollow Reservoir and Garth Run within the Rapidan WMA.

My friend took me to Shenandoah National Park a few years back...couldn't tell ya the names of the streams we fished though! Some things I learned:

You don't need waders. My buddy told me to wear mine. It was hot as hell in the middle of the summer and I must've sweated off 15 pounds walking up the streams over boulders, etc. and I thought I was going to die. Laid down in the stream after each day to cool off...

Really only difference from NEPA brookie streams is that there are a lot more plunge pools and plenty of deep little pockets that do have trout in them - don't overlook them. The fish tend to be very spooky - you will want to stay as hidden as possible.

Not too much rhodo, little bit less brush than NEPA in most areas but likely due to large boulders strewn about.

I wouldn't worry too much about wildlife...just be careful and mind your surroundings. I brushed past a small hornet nest underneath a small tree that I did not see at all. Went out into the middle of the stream to fish, balancing on a rock while they flew around me and got stung a couple times. Thankfully I was not allergic.

As with most mountain streams, the farther up the stream you go, the less fished/touched the water is by others. We did some hard hiking to get to some beautiful spots and it really paid off.

I used my Allen Compass 8.5 ft 4 wt which I love for small streams, and basically just used stimulators the whole time.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all of the stream ideas and tips! Great info.

Everyone else already hit the nail on the head with regards to fishing SNP but I'll add a couple of notes from my experiences.

Most of the wild life I have encountered on my trips to SNP have been snakes including a nice timber rattlesnake that was sunning itself not more than 5 feet off the stream when fishing the Rose one morning. The usual suspects are watersnakes who make a quick exit once you get close.

Rose or the Hughes would be good for a quick trip as you can just fish your way up the stream and take the trail back to your car/truck. If you are short on time don't be afraid to fish the water close to trail heads even if it sees a greater amount of pressure. I recently went on a trip for my 30th birthday that my girlfriend had set up and we mostly fished the beginning section of each stream and caught plenty of great fish. Obviously fishing behind someone would have changed our experience but it can be an option.

Most important thing is just to have fun and enjoy the scenery. SNP is one of my favorite places to spend time and the beautiful brookies that can be found in these streams are just icing on the cake.

The poison ivy thread reminded me that there is also a ton of this and stinging nettle in some areas along the streams there. The nettle is especially nasty in the summer. Be careful wading as those boulders are worn smooth by the annual spring floods and are SLICK.

Thanks for all the advice I will be careful and try to enjoy the experience!

Bob
I have some maps you can borrow. PM me, email me or text me if you want to use them.

Regarding maps, some years back a buddy and I did a 4 day trip to the park and I bought both the Park Service map and the Trails Illustrated map.

We ended up using the Trails Illustrated map the whole trip. At that time at least, it was a better map.

Probably both maps have been updated since that time.

I didn't find that the brookie fishing was that much different than in PA.

One interesting thing was that an Adams Parachute outfished an elk hair caddis by a substantial margin.

Thanks to all for the ideas and offers on maps etc. but I will probably just stick w the murray book content cause I wont have enough time to push back far at all. Great set of respones, appreciate it !

troutbert wrote:
One interesting thing was that an Adams Parachute outfished an elk hair caddis by a substantial margin.

How could this be? The EHC is the end all be all for brookies for me. If I'm throwing dries at brookies I've got the most faith in the EHC.

I agree with the caddis, but you guys should really try the Neversink Caddis with either yellow or orange body. As the name implies, they float all day and are highly visible. Best flies for SNP include Neversink Caddis, Stimulators, Mr. Rapidan, Pink Lady, Hot-Spot Foam Beetle, and Pink San Juan.

Back