Shenandoah National Park

The_Sasquatch

The_Sasquatch

Heading to SNP in early April. Plannin' on getting a campsite (assuming they're open) from the national park. Any key areas I should focus on?

I only know about the smaller brook streams, Here is a link to the so called best streams: http://www.flyfisherman.com/northeast/virginia/best-shenandoah-streams/

Big Meadows Campgroud is a good base camp location. It's a big campground. Not sure if that is what you are looking for or off trail back packing sites. Campsites should be open in April. I think they open in March. Loft Mtn is another decent one for the lower section.
Here is the park link for them: http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/facilities-opening-schedule.htm

Harry Murray wrote a book called "Trout Fishing in the Shenandoah National Park" It's a good book that has all the info you need on what streams to fish and hot to get to them. The book is normally available at the Lancaster show coming up in a couple weeks. Or on Amazon.

I hope this helps you.

I highly recommend getting this map:

Shenandoah National Park (National Geographic Trails Illustrated Map).

With this good map of the park, you can explore the streams.

There are so many streams to fish there. We only fished two of them, and had good brookie fishing on both. But I've heard from other people that they also had good fishing, on streams different than the ones we fished.

Are there any streams in the park without a trout population?

We just tried to pick streams that we thought might not get too much fishing pressure.

The Murray book has no maps. Get the trails illustrated map Troutbert suggested or there are Appalachian Trail ("AT") maps of the park. I think there are two or three AT Maps that provide coverage of the whole park. The AT maps have better detail because they show a smaller area on each map than the Trails Illustrated map, which shows the whole park on one map. Both are printed on plastic paper and are waterproof.

Thanks for the maps and book recommendations! Get's me started very well.

And thanks for the campground recommendations. That's incredibly helpful. Not looking for backwoods camping. Only gonna be there for one night, so knowing which campground to pick is helpful.

Interesting regs inside the park. Looks like you have to harvest all browns

Agree with getting the Nat Geo Maps. The paper maps they give you in the park office are terrible. Those trails illustrated maps are great for any location.

Sasquatch,

I can Rec a few lesser known streams that have outstanding fishing if you shoot me a PM. Still have yet to explore most of the streams though. Also haven't really looked into campsites before.

PM me.

and learn the song-can't go there without singing it.

Back