Shehaken or Snake Creeks

Blackfly

Blackfly

I will be heading to fish the West Branch of the Delaware River up near New York. I will be up there June 27th to June 30th staying in Susquehanna county with a buddy. I will definitely be fishing the Delaware but also would like to explore an extra stream or two. I saw Shehaken Creek is close to where I will be staying. Someone mentioned Snake Creek was near (not sure about it). Can anyone who is familiar with either or both give me any info.? Size of stream, what kind of trout, bugs, is it worth fishing that time of year or anything I could use would be great. Thanks for any help.

If we don't get much rain between now and then those streams could very well be dry. Never heard of SNake creek.

I was just up there and I don't think it is possible to fish Shehawken Creek, It is very, very low. Please check the temps in the Delaware before fishing it. I don't know if temps will be an issue on the west branch or not, but I know the main stem will have temp issues unless they increase the release.

Snake Creek is quite a drive from Shehawken Cr., and, in my view, not worth the effort. I have never fished Shehawken, but have done fairly well on nearby Equinunk Creek in Junes past. If I were you, I would stay in the Del R. watershed. The small freestone streams draining into the Delaware are comparable to anything you would encounter by heading west into Susquehanna County. One exception I might make however would be to check out Starucca Creek in the vicinity of Melrose and Starucca for some small brook trout. This is a short drive from Shehawken. But, as vcregular said, those streams will fish poorly without some additional rain to freshen them up.

Thanks guys for the info. I was up that way once before and fished the w. Delaware and Starrucca. Figured I would explore a new creek if possible. I will try to check out Equinunk - thanks for that. I am used to creeks drying up and/or getting to warm. I live outside of Pittsburgh and have 3 streams I fish like that. Normally I drive 2 yrs and fish Little J, Spring, Penns and Fishing creeks, but driving further for the w. branch of the Delaware. Thanks again for the info.

Normally I drive 2 yrs and fish Little J, Spring, Penns and Fishing creeks, but driving further for the w. branch of the Delaware.

2 years is indeed quite a drive! :0

I don't mind driving. Drove out to Colorado last summer and twice before to Montana. Got a lot of miles under my belt.

I've read some good things about Starucca Creek. But have never tried it.
Never tried Shehawken either - it just doesn't look real good to me, at the Shehawken access area anyway.
I have fished Faulkner Brook a few times. It's the small stream that flows into the Delaware at the lower game land parking lot. Caught some wild brookies - but they were very small in size. Still, it's a stream that would probably be worth checking out for a diversion from the D

Thanks for the info about Faulkner. It would be sweet to catch a brookie there and hit the Delaware for a 18+ brownie the same day.

Ill second for Faulkner. Easy access especially since the whole thing is public. Has wild bows too...

I was looking on the gazetteer and didn't locate Faulkner. Can you key me into the area?

Blackfly wrote:
I was looking on the gazetteer and didn't locate Faulkner. Can you key me into the area?

Yeah - it's not marked there.
The only reason I found out the stream's name, is because of a prior discussion about it on this forum.
But - as I noted in my other post - it's the stream that runs right alongside the first, or lower, game land parking lot on the WB

Thanks dryflyguy. I thought maybe it was labeled.

Back