Sharkskin line

tomgamber

tomgamber

I mentioned a while ago that I won a sharkskin line in a drawing on a website someone posted here. Anyway...I finally got it spooled and went after some bluegills to test it out...Man does it shoot. Floats well although I haven't given it a good creek drenching yet. The only downside I can see to this stuff is you have to get used to the noise. Sounds like someone opening a closing a very long zipper every time you cast or strip. But it doesn't tangle at my feet when I get lazy an let it fall at my feet. It almost seem stif like nylon coated sinking line. But I think I'm going to like it based on what I paid (nothing) at 100 bucks, I might not be as impressed.

Tom,

I was thinking of starting a thread on the new "low friction" lines like the sharkskin, so maybe I'll just hijack yours...

This really seems like the wave of the future for flylines, kinda like when golfballs got dimples. I'm sure all the lines will have some spin on this theme in the near future.

Personally, I can't see myself spending $100 on a flyline.

What is everyone's experience with these new lines? Are there any with more of a bargain pricetag yet?

I think Rio Gold is supposed to be low friction somehow? I don't think it's textured though.

Anyway, I've heard less than shining reviews.

1) Airflo Ridge Line Fly Line
Ridge Line's Airflo Fly Line is a technical departure from normal fly lines. The innovative Airflo system is basically fly line that has ridges running the length of the line to decrease the line's surface contact with the guides, thereby decreasing friction, resulting in longer casts, and increased accuracy. With the added surface area, Ridge Line floats higher on the water. The ridges also act to channel dirt away from the guides.

2) Sharkskin™ is one of the most innovative fly lines ever made by Scientific Anglers™ and is a true revolution in fly-line design. You won't believe how good this fly line performs until you take it out and start casting. Micro replicated structures in the line reduce friction, improve floatation, boost dutability, eliminate flare and repel water. When it comes time to shoot line, Sharkskin delivers effortless distance by reducing friction through the rod guides. The microtextured coating increases surface area and repellency, allowing the line to sit higher on the water. The improved water shedding also makes for effortless mending. Patented AST chemistry combined with the line texture strenghtens the coating durability. The textured surtace also disperses light and reduces the chance of spooking fish.

I couldn't find any others with a quick search, but if they don't already exist they will be comming soon to a flyshop near you. The Ridge Line was the first out, and it seems like the price has dropped for Ridge Line since Sharkskin was released.

Both of these lines reduce friction with the guides by adding a profile or a texture to the line surface. My guess is there are other ways to do this that will get around whatever patent protection the existing lines may have.

Here's an excerpt from a review (http://www.flyfishingoutfitters.com/p/p.aspx?mlid=2412)

"Texturing a fly line surface to reduce friction is not a new concept. Original silk fly lines were naturally uneven. The old Chancellor Chalkstream lines from England, and to a lesser degree, the old Sunset lines, had a dimpled surface, not unlike a golf ball, to reduce the amount of surface area making contact with the guides. Airflo, England’s premier fly line maker, recently introduced their bumpy surfaced Ridge fly line series in 2006. Scientific Anglers claims the patterning of the Sharkskin process reduces the contact surface area of the line up to 70%. Whatever it is, the Sharkskin, at least when new, has far less friction than any fly line I’ve ever used. I should mention that casting textured fly lines through fly rod guides creates more of a rasping noise than smooth lines, and with the Sharkskin, quite a bit more noise."

Looks like the Ridge Line and Sharkskin may be the only games in town right now.

I have "Sharkskin" in both colors. I find myself not wanting to fish any of the other lines I have. I really like this stuff. The price, not so much.

Don't have the line- but heard it might burn your fingers from a couple fly shop guys.

Can't see how at my level a fly line is gonna make much of a difference. Although I did recently purchase a sink tip for streamers.

I haven't had anything on in a while that would pull hard enough to burn my fingers but I can see how that could happen...I threw it again this morning and have almost tuned out the noise (zzzzzzzziiiiiip, zzzzzzzziiip) its so slick (for lack of a better term) that if I stand my rod up, the line immediately falls completely thru the guides to the ground. The biggest difference in distance I can see is in roll casting...man, 30+ feet roll casts with just a wrist flick...and a pretty fast rod. That was kind of cool.

I bought a textured fly line about 20 years ago at Kettle Creek Tackle Shop, in north central PA. It was made in Canada - called Phoenix. It did cast great - for a while. But eventually, all those bubbles in the finish would trap dirt, and it seemed to lose that great castability. And it was pretty hard to get it clean again. It also wasn't very durable - I remember it cracking pretty good after only 1 season fishing.
I think Phil was still selling those lines the last time I was in there a few years ago.

I'd like to know how these shark lines hold up after a year or so of hard fishing

I've heard their more prone to collecting dirt with all the nooks and crannies.

Did get a nice groove worn into the finger on my line hand after about 5hrs of fishing yesterday...

I have the AirFlo Ridge Line on my 3wt. I do make a better rollcast with the 3wt, though truefully I'm not sure if it's the line or the shorter rod. I put the line on when I got the St. Croix Avid 7'er and haven't fished with any other kind of line on it. So it's hard for me to make any comparsions.

I will probaly get the AirFlo line for my 5wt when it comes time to replace it. Then I'll be able to give a better review since I have fished several different lines with it.

JH

JH

I was fishing the Bighorn about a month ago and my fishing buddy was a using a sharkskin line. Man it made a lot noise! Our guide said he was given one to test and reveiw, he said he didn't like it. He actually offer to give it to me......I didn't take it.

I was using a Rio Gold and it burned my finger each day. By the end of the week my finger was really sore. But is was a good sore!

I got a sharkskin for my 4 wt. to see what all the hype was about...I really like it and would buy another and really if your buying a $65 rio or cortland or orvis high end line it is not that much more...

Back