shamokin fly

M

maxima12

any you boys remember this fly. the shamokin. originator fished this on penns creek with lots of weight. it became the favorite on the loyalsock creek back in the late 60"s. have seen a lot of beauties fall for this pattern. don daugenbaugh (goood guy) renamed this as the red *** kelso.

give it up. simple ty for all, can be weighted. give a yell, i 'll give you the deed if you don't know this one.

red thread, peacock body, grizzly tyed wooly worm, red tag. can be a red chinelle tag. also tied in yellow and green.

can be weighted. oh yea. good

i am thinking , rube wood, remember this one boys. bigger the better wet. better fish this one with 10 lb. you want a big one. this delivers.

maxima

Maybe I'll ask my pap about it. My parents were still in school back then ;)

hey bam, i knew them

maxima

I have caught my only king salmon on a swung fly with this pattern. I fished weightless wets for a few hours one day before a male king hammered it just under the surface. I went fishless for a few hours when others caught fish on the bottom. Totally worth it.

One of my favorite fishing moments. I have since had chasers but no strikes.

A fella that used to come and fish the upper Raystown Branch gave me one of those when i was about 12 years old , i still tie em and use em , mostly early season , don't remember his name but he'd come around about twice a year and i gotta say , he did alot to fan the flames that lit the fire. If i remember correctly he was from Tremont?

osprey wrote:
A fella that used to come and fish the upper Raystown Branch gave me one of those when i was about 12 years old , i still tie em and use em , mostly early season , don't remember his name but he'd come around about twice a year and i gotta say , he did alot to fan the flames that lit the fire. If i remember correctly he was from Tremont?

I'm only ten minutes from Tremont and my wife's family is from that area and it's a painfully small town. If you think of a name, I'm sure he still has relatives around here.

Boyer

This has nothing to do with FF. When we were in high school we always always thought the best name ever for any school was the Shamokin Joint High School. Carry on...

afishinado wrote:
This has nothing to do with FF. When we were in high school we always always thought the best name ever for any school was the Shamokin Joint High School. Carry on...

Afish,
That is funny :-D
John

MAX try this too: black thread, peacock body, grizzly palmered over the body (sparse -- a fair space between turns of hackle), red tag (optional) put it on a 2x long wet fly hook w/ a gold wire wrap -- fish & hold on

maxima12 wrote:
red thread, peacock body, grizzly tyed wooly worm, red tag. can be a red chinelle tag. also tied in yellow and green.

can be weighted. oh yea. good

i am thinking , rube wood, remember this one boys. bigger the better wet. better fish this one with 10 lb. you want a big one. this delivers.

maxima

Will this fly catch big trout in Shamokin Creek?

afishinado wrote:

Man, that's great! :lol:

thats why i love you guys. what a great pattern. i can see this as only good fishing. yes. i see it all the future fishibg ball. the big ones watch out. i can see tying this in all sizes. i would bet this could work on larger fish. i am glad i am here. just simply because it is no good there.

maxima

fellows, i do not now shamokin creek. never fished it. will this fly work. this fly will not only catch the stockies, a good palomino fly. no doubt a good basser, i think this fly is good even in saltwater. size and length would be the factor. it took over the east by fire and lighting and left just as fast. but you have to remember the GREAT THRUST of fly fishing knowledge that came about in the 70' and 80's . everyone had a fly.

with deepest regret many sold their knowlwdge for cash. if you had the loot the boy's were there. a good topic how much will this fly cost. without a doubt we need the good old boy's. the shamokin was given. how much would we be willing to pay today.

i have been around the block. met many, kept my mouth shut and listened. maybe it is time to shout out loud and clear.

if i have something good why would it not be great to share.

i have been lucky in life to be introduced to superior individuals in the art. i can list all the names from a to z and more .

let's just say i fit in at a time of manfish.

women fish is good if you ever meet joan wulff.

maxima

Max..........shout it out buddy , listening here.

Max- you mentioned Don Daugenbaugh. I never met him,and this is a little off topic, but years ago I picked up some dubbing packets that he put out under his name. Besty dubbing I ever used for Hendrickson and Blue Quill dries. If ou should ever run into him again, I'd appreciate if you could remember to ask him if he still sells it. PM me if possible if you see him.

On topic, I was born in Shamokin and still have some family up there. I'll definitely tie up some of these and give 'em a go.

John

Hey Maxima, Have you ever run across another local Shamokn Fly - The Coal Miners Special. I ran into a gut fishing on the Wiconisco and he was killing them. He said he was using a "Coal Miner Special" He was on the opposite side of the creek from me and I couldn't see what it was. It looked black with some red in it.

Any help would be appreciated.

I tried this question on the boards before to no avail. Maybe there are a few Shamokin area old timers on the board that might know.

Thanks in advance.

Back