Shameless Self Promotion

FrequentTyer

FrequentTyer

Don't worry, I'm not selling anything. Just blowing my own horn.
I was in the Pennsylvania State Fly Tying Championship this weekend at the PA outdoor show, The contest was a lot of fun, it it was a real honor to be included among the 5 finalist in the amateur division. The contest was sponsored by the Cumberland Valley chapter of Trout Unlimited and Bass Pro Shops, and the CVTU guys did a fantastic job of organizing and running the event. The amateur division had to tie 3 patterns including the Adams, renegade, and a surprise pattern that turned out to be the Hornberg. I don't have pictures of the actual contest flys but these are flys that I tied as I was practicing for the contest:

ContestFlys.jpg

I was very happy with the outcome:

ContestTrophy.JPG

There was at least one other PAFF member in the contest who did very well. I won't steal his thunder but hope he posts about his experience as well.

It was a great event, and I would encourage everyone to consider entering next year. The outdoor show was interesting, but very light on fly fishing stuff. This was the first time I attended the show and I was overwhelmed by the size and variety.
Mike.

Congratulations, did everybody have the same materials or were you able to "make it your own" ?

Congrats! 2nd in the state isn't too shabby! I'd be putting that trophy around my neck for all to see!

Nice ties frequent.
A little surprised that they would make you tie all dries in an amateur division

Congratulations on second place. Have you ever been trout unlimited's cabin fever show in Cranbury, PA? Its all fly fishing stuff and has nice demonstrations and lectures. There are rod builders and tyers there as well. I usually vend at it every year. They get About 900 people to attend each year. They also give away some nice gear. I usually donate a fully stocked steelhead fly box that gets rafled and I give one away in a raffle I do. You said the sportsman's show you went to was light on fly fishing stuff, so if your looking for a show to hit I would recomend cabin fever. Its on march 4. If you do make it stop by and and say hi.

Nice,congratulations. You must be thrilled, how many times a day you look at it? Haha.

Way to go, Mike!

Having seen you tie, I'm not surprised at all.
143.gif

Leteras wrote:
Congratulations on second place. Have you ever been trout unlimited's cabin fever show in Cranbury, PA? Its all fly fishing stuff and has nice demonstrations and lectures. There are rod builders and tyers there as well. I usually vend at it every year. They get About 900 people to attend each year. They also give away some nice gear. I usually donate a fully stocked steelhead fly box that gets rafled and I give one away in a raffle I do. You said the sportsman's show you went to was light on fly fishing stuff, so if your looking for a show to hit I would recomend cabin fever. Its on march 4. If you do make it stop by and and say hi.

Now THAT's a shameless self promotion....well done Leteras!

JK of course... :)

Nice job Frequent, congratulations.

Congrats...that's quite an achievement. I'd comment on the quality of your ties, but it wouldn't mean much coming from me as my flies suck (you've probably seen/handled a few of mine from past swaps)...but they're pretty impressive.

I'm also a little puzzled by the lineup being all dries (granted the Hornberg is somewhat of a hybrid dry/wet/streamer), you'd think it would be something like a dry, a nymph and a streamer...

That's sweet. Nice bugs. Congrats.

Congrats! nice looking ties!

Congrats!!! Nice job! I'd be very proud!

Congrats Mike!!

You must have had one heck of a coach.

Well done. I think I'd build a stand by my front door for that one!
Coughlin

NICE! Congrats!!!

JH

Thanks everyone for all the nice compliments! Having seen a lot of your flys in pictures or swaps I know the caliber of your work and the compliments mean a lot to me.

To answer a couple of questions:

Becker, the patterns were set, but we were free to tie in whatever style we wanted. For example, the Adams required grey dubbing, but the type of dubbing (natural, synthetic) or how it was applied was the choice of the contestant. We did have to supply all of our own materials, so that also added some individuality.

Dryflyguy and Sniperfreak223. I was also surprised by the choice of patterns. The Hornberg is hard to classify. They did call it a wet fly and it is tied on a heavy wire wet hook. We had to submit 3 flys to be judged in order to be selected for the final round. There was a pretty even distribution of drys, nymphs, and wet patterns to choose from for those 3, and I'm guessing they didn't see many dry flys in the initial round so they decided to challenge us.

Outsider, I had a fantastic coach and I'm still looking forward to learning more! I think the best part about fly tying is that I'll never know everything and will always be able to learn from generous experts.

Outsider, I had a fantastic coach and I'm still looking forward to learning more! I think the best part about fly tying is that I'll never know everything and will always be able to learn from generous experts.

Mike, it's a lifetime learing experience. We will learn more as we go, no matter how old/experienced you are. Be ready for more tricks I recently learned,

Back