Setting the hook...

Barnuba

Barnuba

I gave up on the Wolly Bugger after talking to a local at Codorus -they suggested that I start using nymphs.

So I starting nymphing with pretty good success, except 80% of the time the fish throw the hook.

Does anyone have any suggestions/techniques for setting the hook?

I'm guessing that you may be a little late. If you don't see the take at first, they may be attempting to spit the fly when you finally set the hook. End result...a partially hooked fish that comes off early. Just a guess though.

Are the hooks you're using sharp? Could you describe the manner in which you are setting the hook, is the line tight or is there some slack? Like said if you're seeing the indicator twitch or pause and then if you are thinking about whether it was a hit or not most times you're going to be to late.If it does anything different than drift smoothly give er a yank yea alota times it will be the bottom but that just lets you know you're deep enough, unless it's every cast, then you have too much weight on. Keep at it and at it and you will get to the point that without thought you will be setting the hook you'll become so fine tuned to what your line is doing that you'll start setting the hook without even knowing why you did it. When you start doing that you'll have obtained what is known as nymphing eyes. Manya manya hours with the nymph you must have. Are you keeping the line tight after the hook set? I ask because I don't know how much experience you have with the fly.Do NOT give up on the wooly bugger man, that would be a mistake...

You could just be in a "funk". I have times, for whatever reason, that I can not keep fish buttoned up. It comes and goes for me so just hang in there. As long as you are getting fish to bite you are doing something right.

Try opening the hook gap just a little , take onefrom the box , do they still come in boxes anywhere? anyhow take one put it in the vise and push up on the shank till it opens the gap just a wee bit it might not cure but it will help.

Get a hook sharpener.

Also make sure when you're fighting the fish that you have constant contact to the fish at all times. Never have slack in your line. I hand strip about 95% of my fish in. Sometimes if you try to reel you can't reel in fast enough and the resulted slack causes your fish to get off.

Don't give up on the buggers. Use different flies and techniques for different situations. When the water's up a bit try your buggers again.

Bend the point of the hook about 15 degrees to one side. This will help it dig in.

Starting with an indy rig is a good way to go...
Having your weight right and indy positioned correctly will help detect strikes

Also, a tip for fighting/landing fish...when the fish is freaking out aka flipping around doing the head shake, don't reel/strip any line, just let your rod tip absorb the freak out...once they calm down, then start to take line...fish can't really "spit", but we can yoink the fly from their lip

It must be the slack in the line that is causing me trouble. I took your advice and used the hand strip and went 2 for 2 today! Thanks! :-D

Back