SEPA Tricos

theoriginalnickyp

theoriginalnickyp

Anyone been to the usual haunts? How's the hatch been?

New to the sport and have never seen tricos in real life. Went to the heritage section of LL this past Saturday 10-6 hoping to see some - nothing.

Yo theo

If anything, even before this heatwave, I ran into Trikes in several streams, maybe a little sooner in the season than usual.

There have been Tricos on the Little Lehigh since the end of June.
Hatch has been starting about 8 and mostly over by 10.

Hit them on Moselem in Berks County a few years back. Pretty cool. Has anyone else fished the tricos there?

A couple weeks ago I went to a spot on Monocacy that I have not hit in a while and was surprised to not see any Trico's in the air or on the water. No rising fish either. I stayed about an hour to see if anything would change, but nothing.

I drove to a location on the Little Lehigh and there were good bugs as usual. Fish were tough to find that day since it was very hot and sunny. Fish were rising in small pods under trees. I am still disappointed in the lower park section where they no longer leave the riparian buffer and mow up to the banks of the stream. The years when they had left that alone the fishing was amazing.

Bugs on the Little Lehigh were done by 10 that day.

I will try a few more spots this weekend. Water in most streams is low. Need rain.

I fished the Monocacy a couple of weeks ago in the park and there was a decent spinner fall about 7 AM, over by about 8. The usual few native browns eating.

Mark C

Wow, I guess I need to get out of bed earlier!

It is one of my favorite hatches. Unfortunately it also coincides with temps getting too warm in many places. Found some a month ago and hit it a few mornings. Arrive at dawn and fish were already feeding heavily on duns then switched to spinners then to sunken. That is usually how it goes for them in my experience.

Not a SEPA stream but a few weeks ago I went to the Tully, or was it a month ago, but there were tons of Trico spinners. But the fall was short lived. It wasn't like in past years where you could get 4 hours of rising fish. Started around 8:00 and was totally over by 9:30. Not worth the hour drive for me. Now in this heat, even though the creek is 99% stocked trout, I'd get there by first light and he quitting by 9:00. The low water temperature today was 71 and the high 73. Too warm in my opinion. Give 'em a break.

There are plenty of tricks and little blue quills hatch on the little Lehigh I haven’t seen a single rise to the spinners. Just so you all know with warm temperatures the bugs can be done b 9 am. They often are falling on the water whil the females are still hatching. The males hatch in the overnight and are done hatching by dawn until September. As temperatures cool the 2 sexes hatches start to merge until it all happens during daytime hours.

Back