Selective logging on a nat. reproducing trout stream

polky

polky

An abandoned property next to ours has recently had many trees blue striped for a timber harvest. I am concerned that since we live on a naturally reproducing trout stream that flows into a class A stream that sedimentation will be a problem.
There is a cluster of trees that are marked for removal ,in a seasonal dry stream bed, that are my main concern. This was flowing very heavy just last week the recent rains. Very loose soil nearby to the aforementioned tributary.
Although it small in size there is some nice hatches. Many stones, caddis, hendos, sulphers and last year saw a green drake.
The stream is in Berks county. West branch of Pine Creek.
If any members have information as to where to seek assistance that this timber harvest is done properly, I'd appreciate it.

I wouldn't be so concerned. It doesn't sound like that big of a deal. Also, we can all worry and pray about the environment but it sounds like it is also someone else's property. They have some degree and right to do what they want. I've seen serious damage along streams on both private and public land.if you call someone they will likely give you the same answer...that it is their property.

Don't worry too much.

You are absolutely right that is some someone's property. My concern is the sediment, which destroys many streams.
Aren't we supposed to be stewards of the land?

polky wrote:
You are absolutely right that is some someone's property. My concern is the sediment, which destroys many streams.
Aren't we supposed to be stewards of the land?

Of course. But, it is someone's land. Call and report it if you're that concerned..otherwise nature will take care of itself and wash away sedimentation. It will all end up downstream where it further will create problems. But, we are humans, the worst invasive species of all time, and yet our trout are thriving. Dont worry too much.. especially in a seasonal stream.

The entire Pine Ck basin is classified “Exceptional Value” in pa DEP’s Chapter 93 Water Quality Standards. There are, or at least were, special requirements regarding logging near EV streams. I am even less certain about intermittent streams that are tribs. I recommend that you contact the regional office that serves Berks Co, which is the Southcentral PaDEP office in Harrisburg or start by contacting the Berks Co Conservation District for guidance. It may be that the project is meeting all requirements and the planned work is sound, but let DEP or the Conservation District, depending upon jurisdiction, decide whether the proposed project that you described is a concern. It is conceivable that they already reviewed it. Conversely, they may not be aware of it. Ask first and then proceed from there.

Mike wrote:
The entire Pine Ck basin is classified “Exceptional Value” in pa DEP’s Chapter 93 Water Quality Standards. There are, or at least were, special requirements regarding logging near EV streams. I am even less certain about intermittent streams that are tribs. I recommend that you contact the regional office that serves Berks Co, which is the Southcentral PaDEP office in Harrisburg or start by contacting the Berks Co Conservation District for guidance. It may be that the project is meeting all requirements and the planned work is sound, but let DEP or the Conservation District, depending upon jurisdiction, decide whether the proposed project that you described is a concern. It is conceivable that they already reviewed it. Conversely, they may not be aware of it. Ask first and then proceed from there.

^^ Like

I would also echo Mike's comments. If you are ever concerned about erosion and sedimentation issues, your county conservation district is probably the best point of contact. If there are clear impacts to aquatic resources calling the appropriate PFBC regional law enforcement office may be worthwhile as well.

Back