Seele Rods

billfrech

billfrech

At the Somerset Fly Tying Show there were some rods built in PA. The name of the company is Seele Rods. They seem like nice rods on the higher end price wise.

Has anyone used their rods? What is your feedback.

Never used one but I would think they would compete against top of the line Sage, Scott, Winston, etc. It looks like the Seele rods have a nicer fit and finish than Sage, Scott, Winston, etc.

I think their glass blanks are made by Mike McFarland, not sure about the graphite ones though.

I'd really like to see these rods in person. Made in USA with quality components and a PA company too.

With all the little rod and reel companies popping up selling cookie cutter Asian made products, it's nice to see some selling high quality tackle also.

They actually had an open house at their shop a couple of weeks ago. I just couldn't summon up the energy to drive 3 hours each way to go, but I now regret not going.

Their glass looks terrific.

http://www.garyborger.com/2014/01/01/two-fly-fishing-talents-combine-forces-to-form-new-rod-company/

CRB wrote:
Bellwood is it not DB home town?

Him and several thousand other folks. Are you suggesting something?

I went to the open house. Great company and rods are sexy

My grandmother once said if you have anything to say about someone be nice. With that in mind, I was at the Somerset show. I visited the Seele booth and viewed the rods. I had not cast or fished the rods but I can say without hesitation that the cosmetics of the rods that were on display were poor.
Furthermore, I placed an order with Mike Mcfarland in the past that was never delivered.
All things considered, I wish these guys well. They are making their rods in the USA and seem to be sincere.

He took a hundred bucks from me several years ago, I finally gave up getting a rod or a refund. And it's happened to a lot of people. He doesn't even get on the glass board anymore because of the flack he took. He might make a great rod, but his business acumen sucks.

RichFishbelt wrote:
I visited the Seele booth and viewed the rods. I had not cast or fished the rods but I can say without hesitation that the cosmetics of the rods that were on display were poor.

Care to elaborate on their shortcomings? The photos on the Seele web site certainly make the rods look quite nice. Did you find quality issues or did you just not like their aesthetics?

Kev

Kev,
I refer to the rods that I saw on display at the fly tying show in Somerset, NJ. I simply was disappointed with the finish, where it met the cork grip on some of the fly rods. Some of the rods had finish that flowed from the rod blank out onto the cork handle in a way that was not aesthetically pleasing. Clearly, it had nothing to do with the function or fishing quality of the rod. If these fly rods were comparativly, inexpensive, I would not have given it a second thought.
Perhaps, the rods that I saw at the show were only demos that were provided for test casting.
All things considered, I wish this company well. I am a big fan of USA made products. With that in mind, I would hope that quality and service of a company be better than its competition from abroad.
By all means, anyone with interest in these rods should have a look at them and give the rods a try.

Bumping this thread.

Tested the Seele Tactical Trout 10’5? 4wt and talked to Michael Mauri for a little bit. The flex and recovery were both excellent. I was most impressed with how it was able have such great recovery in a rod that you can feel into the handle as you cast. It felt 'alive' in my hand and I must say I came away very impressed with it.

The price is inline with other top rod companies high end rods, which is unfortunately $785.

Bumped Why from 2014? Just curious, do they have overpriced Nippers as well ?

pro4mance wrote:
Bumped Why from 2014? Just curious, do they have overpriced Nippers as well ?

Lol if you don't buy $100 nippers

Also, I remembered this thread so why not bump a thread and add my thoughts to it. Keeps information and opinions easy to find when confined.

Back