Seeking Delaware advice

N

NRD

I've been invited on a kayak fishing trip to the Delaware in late May. My host says to expect lots of fish rising and they are hard to catch. While I highly prefer fishing dries, I tend to be a little lazy about it. Even though I've assembled a box full of pattern matching flies, I usually start with a caddis and stay with it as long as it works.

Can anyone offer advice to minimize my chances of getting skunked?

First, expect to get skunked. That way when you catch a fish your trip will be a huge success.

Second (but actual advice), presentation is critical. Long leaders, light tippet, and fish downstream to the rising fish will increase your odds.

For sure, you need to lower your expectations at the Delaware.
It laid a skunk on me the first 2-3 times I tried it way back when.

But I kept working at it.
And finally started to have some success.
It's well worth the effort.
IMO, there's no better fishing in the state when it's on

First, expect to get skunked. That way when you catch a fish your trip will be a huge success.

Second (but actual advice), presentation is critical. Long leaders, light tippet, and fish downstream to the rising fish will increase your odds.
I've only in the last week gone up to 10' leaders and seen improvement on my take rate, but my presentations are probably better now also. Changing from 7-8' to 9-10' was easier then I expected. Is the value of a longer leader to keep the line splash farther away from the fish or to improve the presentation? Or both?

How long should my leader be on the Delaware?

I'm only just starting my third year of this activity. The first year I used primarily 5x tippet. Last year, and so far this year, primarily 4x unless casting really small dry flies. I also have 5.5x and 6x, but almost never use those. Next time out, I'll start experimenting with those on longer leaders.

I use a 12 foot leader tapered to 5x on the D.
Big water and big fish

The dry fly fishing is definitely technical and tough. If you want to avoid the skunk I’d pack some nymphs- my best fish on that river have all come subsurface (and they were some tanks!). Lotta great dry dropper water up there.

Best prep I can recommend is buying the Paul Weamer Guide book. And it’s a good investment bc you *will* be back

I break the mold and I fish upstream dries and sneak down stream of them. The key is to have a light tippet. Those fish see the tiniest of micro-drags. These are the smartest trout on the planet and when you learn to catch them on dries on the Delaware or just the Catskills in general you can catch them anywhere.
Numbers wise I do best fishing nymphs traditional style from a good 35 feet away.

Love fishing the Delaware.

I've only in the last week gone up to 10' leaders and seen improvement on my take rate, but my presentations are probably better now also. Changing from 7-8' to 9-10' was easier then I expected. Is the value of a longer leader to keep the line splash farther away from the fish or to improve the presentation? Or both?

How long should my leader be on the Delaware?

I'm only just starting my third year of this activity. The first year I used primarily 5x tippet. Last year, and so far this year, primarily 4x unless casting really small dry flies. I also have 5.5x and 6x, but almost never use those. Next time out, I'll start experimenting with those on longer leaders.
I typically use 9-12ft leaders to which I add 5-6 ft of tippet. You want the longest drag free drift you can get. I don’t think it’s the splash, it’s all about presentation of the fly.

I use 5x and 6x tippet depending on the conditions (flow, sun, wind). 4x just seems too bulky and too visible.

Just my thinking on this.

Well, you want a laundry list of stuff, here it comes 🤣......

* I may go a little extreme but my leaders range from 15' - 20' (butt to fly). Can you catch fish on a 10' leader? Yes, but you better be deadly accurate with the cast.

* Are you able to carry multiple rods on the yak? It would be very helpful to do so. I typically have a rod rigged with LONG leader / lighter tippet, a second dry rigged with a little shorter leader / heavier tippet as well as a nymph/wet rod rigged. Light tippet might be 5x with a rusty spinner, heavier might be 3x or 4x to a drake/ISO/stone dry. Nymph rig has 2-3 flies. Size will be based on what is hatching. I use little to no weight (beadhead instead of shots) and move them frequently. Without weights, you'll pass over fish in the heavier water but you get to the ones in slow or REALLY shallow water.

* Flies: CDC, emergers and other flush riding patterns rule the day up there. Rarely do I have anything with much hackle on it. The fly doesn't have to match perfect for size and color. Just needs to be close with correct profile. Dries....rusty spinner in #12-20, tan caddis #14-18, black caddis #12-16, cornuta olives #14, drakes (green, brown and yellow) #10, golden Stone #8, olives #18-22, sulphurs and Cahills #14-16. Nymph..... Caddis pupa in tan and bright green #14-16, BHPT #12-18, bright gold stone, olive or natural birdsnest #12-16.

* Do not EVER launch unless you know where you are going and have appropriate gear (extra jacket/rain gear/dry bag). You WILL need a net with large hoop and likely a longer handle. Head lamp is a must because you might be fishing until 30 minutes past dark and still have 2 miles to go.

* Assume it doesn't hold fish and you might miss the fish of a lifetime. Those rainbows will hold in 8" of water and in almost stagnant pools. Browns seem to prefer the deeper water, cover and slightly less current. Can you catch 4 chubs in a row and then have your reel dumped into the backing on the next cast? Absolutely. You never know. Once you hook up, clear the line and keep your fingers away from the spool because it might be spinning like a top and you'll break the fish off or have a bloody knuckle.

* You should spend more time looking than casting. Some rises are almost undetectable in the chop and light conditions. Be prepared to spend 2 hours on a fish, change flies 6 times and then leave rejected. Be able to hit your target at 50' with slack leader and then feed line out quickly. Casting down and across is a must. Casting up and over the fish is a very low percentage play. If you have the the desire to pull over and chase some on foot, do it! Just be careful as there are DEEP pools but plenty of spots to fish on foot.

Last edited:
"You should spend more time looking than casting."

I will add one thing to all this great advice, specifically referencing this quote: When a fish is working, it has a cadence. So, you are making a good presentation, have the right fly, and everything is dialed in but the fish is eating just before or after your fly floats past. You're likely not timing your drift to align with the trout's rising rhythm. Watch the rises and count the seconds between rises. Then, time your drift to match that.

Wow, thanks for all the great advice!
As to eating cadence, I've noticed that, wondered if I was often presenting my fly too soon, but not yet made the leap to just watching to try to time the eat.

I forgot my tip Delaware has taught me. Clinch knot SUCKS when you have a light tippet to a heavy fly. I will lose that big fish of the day and have the pig tails. Clinch knots don't hold when the hook eye metal is bigger then advised. This works wonders when your nymphing with thin 6x or 7x tippet and a size 14 hook.

I use the 20/16, Pizen, or as I think of it the reverse clinch knot.

I forgot my tip Delaware has taught me. Clinch knot SUCKS when you have a light tippet to a heavy fly. I will lose that big fish of the day and have the pig tails. Clinch knots don't hold when the hook eye metal is bigger then advised. This works wonders when your nymphing with thin 6x or 7x tippet and a size 14 hook.

I use the 20/16, Pizen, or as I think of it the reverse clinch knot.

6x & 7x ?? In 35 years of fishing up there, I can count on one hand how many times I've gone to 6x.... don't even own 7. 😂

I don't think I've had many issues with knots but I might be using heavier line. 3, 4 and 5 x for dries and nymphs. Improved clinch works just fine but will occasionally slip on a nymph rig if you don't really cinch the fluorocarbon.

For sure, you need to lower your expectations at the Delaware.
It laid a skunk on me the first 2-3 times I tried it way back when.

But I kept working at it.
And finally started to have some success.
It's well worth the effort.
IMO, there's no better fishing in the state when it's on
6x & 7x ?? In 35 years of fishing up there, I can count on one hand how many times I've gone to 6x.... don't even own 7. 😂

I don't think I've had many issues with knots but I might be using heavier line. 3, 4 and 5 x for dries and nymphs. Improved clinch works just fine but will occasionally slip on a nymph rig if you don't really cinch the fluorocarbon.
Never understood that either…. You Hook into a hot rainbow or big brown up there on 7x and you might as well just cut the line and watch it swim away.

Never understood that either…. You Hook into a hot rainbow or big brown up there on 7x and you might as well just cut the line and watch it swim away.
No need to "cut the line", the fish will take care of that in short order.

The Euro guys often use the thinnest tippet to achieve a faster sink rate. But 6 or 7x is not practical to nymph fish for big wild fish in big water like the Delaware. A thousandth or two of an inch in diameter doesn't make that much difference in the sink rate. I believe it is better to add a small amount of weight to the fly and fish a tippet heavy enough to give you at least has a chance to hold a fish on the River.

No need to "cut the line", the fish will take care of that in short order.

The Euro guys often use the thinnest tippet to achieve a faster sink rate. But 6 or 7x is not practical to nymph fish for big wild fish in big water like the Delaware. A thousandth or two of an inch in diameter doesn't make that much difference in the sink rate. I believe it is better to add a small amount of weight to the fly and fish a tippet heavy enough to give you at least has a chance to hold a fish on the River.
Was referring more to avoiding the hassle of that bit of “in between time” from hookup and the inevitable where you still feel like you have a chance in hell 😂. Nobody needs to euronymph anything thinner than 5x no matter how clear and low the water is. Beyond that their technique just sucks.

I hope you get a really hot rainbow also known as a crackhead. You see the rise and as you raise the rod tip to set the hook the fish is already 20 ft by you. Scrambling to get the line tight and just as it goes tight, 180 and runs at you full throttle. I've had plenty where my line is tight downstream but the fish is jumping parallel to where I'm standing which is mind-boggling. Keep in mind, this isn't a five or six pound fish causing that kind of chaos, it's a 15 or 16 in fish with blistering speed. It's awesome

I rarely go lighter than 5x there.

I remember a few times when the WB was running around 100-200 CFS.
The fish were very spooky and I went to it.
Prolly helped with getting takes.
But landing a large one was very dicey for sure

Back