Searching Patterns

JMP

JMP

I just tied two dozen Bead Head Prince Nymphs in sizes 14 and 16 - 2xl. How often and when do you fish a searching pattern (prince, pheasant tail, etc.) versus a specific pattern (stonefly, sulfur, BWO, etc.)?

If I'm nymphing I usually fish a tandem rig. I'd say at least 75% of the time one of them is a hares ear of pheasant tail.

1manwolfpack wrote:
If I'm nymphing I usually fish a tandem rig. I'd say at least 75% of the time one of them is a hares ear of pheasant tail.

+1 ^

Most often I'll rig two flies to begin the day, with one often being a Hares Ear or Pheasant Tail, which are two patterns that are consistent fish catchers. The second fly will be something to match what I believe may be hatching or is prevalent in great numbers in the stream.

As an example, in limestone streams, my second fly is likely be a scud or cress bug imitation. Another example, if If there is a certain hatch expected, I may choose to fish a nymph or pupa to match what I believe will be hatching that day.

If you are at at an unfamiliar stream, it may be a good idea to roll a few rocks or use a seine net to check out the prevalent insects present.

In addition to patterns choices, I will often choose one of my flies based on its weight to use as an anchor fly and match the weight weight to the flow and depth of the stream.

I try to be observant to detect any activity (bug or fish) and change over and match what is happening. While I like to nymph, I'll change over to dries or emerger quickly if there is any sign of rising fish. This may not always be the best way to catch a lot of fish, but I find it to be the most fun.

I always have a "searching" pattern on unless I'm fishing a stream with finicky fish.

To me a PT is a pretty good representation of a mayfly. And I catch probably 80-90% of my fish every year on some version of a PT.

I usually fish tandem as well with my heavy fly being a beadhead caddis pupa. I'll drop a lighter fly (usually unweighted) off that one tippet size lighter. Second fly will usually be a soft hackle, or a nymph that is close to whatever hatch is occurring.

I usually fish tandem as well with my heavy fly being a beadhead caddis pupa. I'll drop a lighter fly (usually unweighted) off that one tippet size lighter. Second fly will usually be a soft hackle, or a nymph that is close to whatever hatch is occurring.

Back