Scuds

NewSal

NewSal

So regarding Scuds -

Where do scuds usually "hang out", in the ripples, pools, under rocks, under the banks in the roots, ??

Just wondering where I should look to find some scuds, if there are any, in a certain stream

Salvelinusfontinali wrote:
So regarding Scuds -

Where do scuds usually "hang out", in the ripples, pools, under rocks, under the banks in the roots, ??

Just wondering where I should look to find some scuds, if there are any, in a certain stream

Scuds are generally found in limestone spring creeks. While scuds can be found under rocks, streams with the densest population of scuds usually have some sort of weed growth.

Streams in your area such as the Letort and Big Spring have a huge population of scuds, which are an important part of the diet of the trout, since scuds are available to the fish 365 days a year.

I recent posted some videos and info about scuds on our Hatch and Entomology Forum > HERE

Right I'm aware that they habitat limestone streams and that's what brought my question up, I fish a limestone stream and would like to see if I could find some, so your saying the weedy areas are the prime-time spots?

I can't watch the video right now as I am at work, (my headphones are broke and I don't think my coworkers want an education on fresh water shrimp LOL). But thank you very much! I will be sure to watch it whenever I can.

Salvelinusfontinali wrote:
so your saying the weedy areas are the prime-time spots?

Most limestone streams have dense populations of scuds (not to be confused with cress bugs or sow bugs) and they can be found pretty much everywhere in these streams.

In my experience seining limestone spring creeks, scuds seem to be more prevalent in areas with more current, usually the middle of a weedy stream channel, and less prevalent in the thick weeds along the banks where there is less current and more silt. However, this is a broad generalization. A well fished scud will be effective just about anywhere in a stream that has them - slow and weedy or faster and more rocky. . . scuds are dependable flies.

Back