Scott G2 885/4

C

coachbarak

Anyone have any experience with the Scott G2 885/4? What type of fishing have you done with it? Nymphing? Dries?

Thanks!!!

Never fished it, but I know it's soft and favored for dries. However, this past season I got really into tightlining a nymph or two with really soft rods in smaller waters. Worked great.

Very nice rod. Action is more towards moderate than fast. Very nice rod for dries, not bad for nymphs but if your primarily nymphing I'd go with a longer rod. Will throw smaller streamers ok but the rod is definitively geared toward dry or dry (small) dropper.

I have cast this model. The G2 is a buttery smooth dry rod in general. If you like a medium action rod where you can really feel it load (even in close), this is a rod for you. It may not be the best as an "all-around" rod as it feels a bit flexy for big multi-nymph rigs / streamers. Not saying it can't be done but will take much more effort and a slower casting stroke to fish heavy / sub surface stuff.

I fish nymph rigs but nothing heavy for this rod is planned. I would say a size 14 beadhead and a size 18 caddis emerger. If it can handle it a xs airlock indicator. I will be creek fishing mainly

For that purpose, I would not choose this rod. It is definitely geared more towards dry flies.

However, I have a buddy that mainly indicator nymphs and all of the rods he uses are similar to this rod, just different sizes. He's a very good caster with these rigs, he slows down and throws wide loops. The two or three times a year I throw a nymph rig I get about an hour or two of fishing in before i destroy my leader and put a dry back on.

Tough to say, you might like it, but it wouldn't be my first choice for nymph rigs. I'd lean towards a radian or any sage except the circa or its equivalent.

The 8'8" g2 five weight is nice dry fly rod. I used to own one. I used to fish light nymph rigs with it but didn't use an indicator.

Back