Schuylkill river fingerlings?

F

Floggingtrout

Anyone with info if they stocked Schuylkill river near Schuylkill haven this year? Went to my usual spots and had no luck. Pick up a bunch of worm containers. I usually hone my fly fishing skills on these little guys. Did catch a 12 inch brown next to the Cressona mall which was nice, not a fingerling sticker. Believe it or not was a bunch of mayflies coming out of riffles and all over the car!

looks like they were supposed to on 6/4.

https://www.fishandboat.com/Fish/Stocking/Documents/FingerlingTroutStocking2019.pdf

A June 4 stocking date would mean that the browns were 2.5-3.5 inches and the rainbows were 3.5-4.5 inches long in a typical year. In addition, if you were not fishing within a hundred yds of a stocking point, you might not have been fishing over those particular fish. Typically they are stocked at some locations within the greater fingerling stocked segment and allowed to spread out on their own over time. You could have easily been fishing over last year's June stocked fingerlings, however, which included Browns and rainbows. Those browns were adipose fin clipped so they would be easily identified and separated a year later from the wild browns of a similar size. With thousands of fingerlings having been stocked last year and similar annual stockings in previous years, plus the wild fish, it sounds as though you just had a relatively poor outing that day.

Note: After a few year break from rainbow stockings (browns continued) the mix was reinstated last year, but adipose fin clips were only given to last year's browns. The larger brown that you caught could have been wild or stocked. It is tough to tell by appearance in that river at times, despite years of practice there.

Glad to learn of the fly activity, as it is another positive sign of the river's gradual return from the dead.

Despite the worm containers, it is unlikely that many fish are being kept given the long-standing local reputation of the river. "I would never eat a fish from that river" is the typical local comment that's heard. Because of apparent relatively heavy fishing activity over freshly stocked fingerlings at one particular location, however, the stocking point was moved to another location so that the freshly stocked fingerlings would receive less immediate pressure and associated direct or delayed C&R angling mortality. I am very much looking forward to some trout trips to the river this summer based on past performance.

Why would anyone fish for freshly stocked 4" trout?

Good question. My interest is in fishing for those that have been there for two years or longer, although from a fisheries management perspective (past action) I would like to know as an exception to fishing for older fish whether many or any survived from last year's stocking, which occurred just prior to the rest of the summer's high water and floods up there. Official evaluation through electrofishing that was planned for last late summer or fall could not be done due to the flow.

I did not know the fish stocked were that small. In the past I was catching 6 to 8 inch fish in good numbers. I thought they were stockies due to amount of fish, but must have been holdovers. My bugger was probably scaring those little guys. And with some of the flows last year (flash floods) they all could be down in Landingville or perished. It did cut some new holes. Question for mike? What is that algae that forms in that river. Orange clumpy stuff doesn’t really attach to anything

What is that algae that forms in that river. Orange clumpy stuff doesn’t really attach to anything

That's not algae, that's iron and sulphur deposits from years of terrible mining practices.

Or if you are speaking about the orange, flocculant material that accumulates in small, dead water(back water )pockets or emerges from embankments at times along many streams or even lakes, even well away from coal country, it could be iron bacteria.

If you are actually seeing filamentous algae, it could easily be a green algae that has become orange with deposits of iron precipitate. I have even seen apparently healthy aquatic insect nymphs covered with iron precipitate in a local trib that also supports a brookie population. So, you can't necessarily entirely judge a stream by its color when in Schuylkill Co coal country.

As for 6-8 inch trout in the river, they would be age 1+, meaning in fisheries terminology fish that are in their second growing season. The brown fingerlings start out smaller and grow a little slower than the rainbows, so I would expect that if you caught enough fish that growth rate difference would be pretty clear. In my experiences with fingerling stockings and with natural reproduction where the species are mixed, the browns never seem to catch up with the rainbows.

If anyone fishes the Schuylkill between Pottsville and the lower end of Schuylkill Haven this year and catches 6-8 inch rainbows ( not fin clipped) or similar size browns that have the adipose fin clipped off or largely clipped off (some grow back a bit, but with deformity) I would appreciate knowing about it. As for the brookies, they are wild despite the washed out coloration that is thpical of brookies in streams with iron precipitate.

Mike have you ever surveyed west branch near Cressona?

Yes, and elsewhere on the stream.

I usually only catch wild fish in that section, but have on 2 occasions caught some recently stocked fingerlings both times during early fall. It was when larger fingerlings were being stocked.

Mike, when you have time can you send me an email with your new contact or is your old contact email still in play for you? zappleby@live.com. I'll then email you from the address I normally use for you.

Back