Savage River, MD

724flyfishing

724flyfishing

Hello, new member here. I've been trying to get on the forum for a long time and glad to be part of it now. I was invited and am going on a two day fly fishing trip to the Savage River, MD next weekend. I apologize if there's a problem with asking about non PA waters, but this is pretty close to the state lines, so I'm hoping it's ok.

Anyways, I was wondering what to expect? What worked well for you in the past? I have a 9'6" 6wt and my go to 9' 5wt. Would the 5wt be enough? I know it's a bottom release and from what I read, sounds similar to the Upper Yough, but I've never talked to anyone that fished it before. That's about all I know of it. Thanks in advance!

724flyfishing wrote:
I know it's a bottom release and from what I read, sounds similar to the Upper Yough,

It's smaller than this. Your 5WT would be fine.
It is a difficult stream to wade with a lot of boulders. Know that felt soles are not allowed in MD. I'd at least use a wading staff.

There are many reports on this forum on the Savage. Take some time to read through some of them.

Welcome 724 to our online community. Glad to have you!
DaveW

Like Fishidiot suggested check out the stream reports as you should get some good ideas about what to expect. It is set in a really beautiful stretch of land.

Thanks for the replies guys. I went ahead and searched it like Fishidiot suggested and found some valuable information. Good thing my new wading boots are studded rubber. I also read up some about the NB Potomac, which we plan on fishing too if we have the time. I had no idea they stocked cutties in there at one point and you have the opportunity to catch one. So awesome. I'm pretty excited for it now. I'm just getting a weekend license bc with steelhead coming up I doubt I'll make it down there again this year, but if it turns out as good as it sounds I'll be buying a full non resident license next year.

Here are a few more links you might find useful. Do yourself a favor and take a wading staff - even if you never use one anywhere else. While the wading is really tough, its totally worth it. Two spectacular rivers out there - I'm hoping to head out myself this fall.

Flow data
http://www.nab-wc.usace.army.mil/northBranch.html

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/md/nwis/uv/?site_no=01597500&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060,00062,00054

Savage River Outfitters
http://www.savageriveroutfitters.com/index.html

Good luck! Let us know how you do

You can clean up tight lining it...don't over look the white water that looks about ankle deep at the top of pools, they can be stacked there

724flyfishing wrote:
I also read up some about the NB Potomac, which we plan on fishing too if we have the time.

I'd use the 6WT on this river.

I just got back from Western Maryland.
We fished the NB in the morning and the savage in the evening. If you fish the Savage you want your longest rod, I use my 10 ft 4 weight. Fish the pockets and only have a few feet of fly line out and keep it off the water. We fished all hoppers on the savage and had a blast. The North Branch wished well today too, all nymphing. Wading staff and studded boots are a must. Here are a couple pics from today.

I was at the Savage last Thursday. Hardly any flow above the lake.
Only fished a couple hours and didn't move any fish. The water was a little off color. I also recommend a 10' 4-wt as the currents are very tricky and having a longer rod allows you to keep line off the water. Pack a decent number of stimulators in various colors and sizes. Let us know how you did.

I wish I had a 10' 4wt rod. A long, lightweight nymphing rod and a 7wt steelhead/salmon rod are on my future purchase list. I'm going to have make due with my 9'6" 6wt. I do have a few different stimulators in my box. I planned on nymphing mostly but I'll give them a try. I'll be sure to post how I did.

^
Most tippet I have ever seen on person

Flouro for nymphing and streamers, mono for dries. I definitely can relate to the post about my vest being to heavy.....

Very good. I've gone minimalist.

God knows Ive tried but I am very set in my ways with gear. Sooner or later my body will force me to change my vest habits.

I made it back today. Beautiful country down there. We fished the Savage all day Saturday, then NB this morning. I only got about 3 or so hours in on the NB. The guys I went with were staying all day so I haven't heard yet how they finished out. I'll share my "review" if you want to call it that, but keep in mind I'm a rookie and I've never been either place prior. Once I figure out how to post pics I can post a few.

Savage:
Just like you all keep emphasizing, this is a brutal stream to wade. It didn't look like much at first but after a hour you feel it. My hips and ankles are sore today. I bent my wading staff and broke my net handle too lol. As for fishing I caught a real nice brownie and had some misses on dry flies that I'll chalk up to rookie mistakes. Most of my luck was on a stimulator with a PT dropper. The one guy I was with caught 6, nothing over 12". Mostly brookies and a couple rainbows and all but 2 out of the same run I think. This is a tough stream for beginners. I kept saying this like taking a college advanced fly fishing class. I like a challenge tho and I'll be back many more times I'm sure.

NB:
I actually ran into RyanSheehan here. Nice guy. Glad I got to meet you. Didn't get a chance to fish much of this but I really liked what I was able to fish. A little bigger and more comfortable than the savage. I caught 3 rainbows all under or around 12" out of the same run.

It was great to meet you guys, glad you enjoyed the rivers. We fished the North Branch until lunch and got into a couple big bows. After we ate lunch the Savage was calling our name. I landed a brown with the biggest pectoral fins I have ever seen for its size. Hope to see you again soon, here are a few pics.

20150906_163058_zpscm3nm6yn.jpg

20150906_110816_zps0ar2ubqm.jpg

20150906_110802_zpssjfy01fs.jpg

20150906_115956_zps8gkwhomw.jpg

20150906_163101_zpsfnwct3um.jpg

20150906_095421_zpsmquck5ri.jpg

photoshop is a wonderful thing...until red figures me out. I have always called those fins airplane wings on the savage river browns but these were absurd even for them.

Back