Sandy Creek Venango County

B

Boomer

Does anybody have or know of a hatch chart for big Sandy Creek in Venango. I have only been flyfishing for about a year and I am still trying to figure out the hatch & entomology of the streams I fish the most. Furthermore can somebody explain to me which flies are good at representing the sulfur hatch? I would like to know the nymphs emergers and dries. Thanks a bunch guys!

Boomer

Sorry for the late response just saw this... I fish Little Sandy Creek mostly, so these flies work there this time of year. I assume they will be the same on Big Sandy.

Use a yellow dry fly to imitate the sulphurs and the cahills. Around #14 - #16

Caddis (tan elk hair floats best) . Again, #14 and #16

Stimulator patterns work well on stocked fish #12

Hares ear and pheasant tail nymphs #12 - #16

Wooly buggers -- olive and black -- #8 - #12

Really, ANY attractor pattern works. The fish aren't usually particular, presentation is more important..

Hope that helps

Good luck.

Thanks a ton! The hatch has seemed to be a little later this year but hasn't hurt fishing much. I appreciate the response!

I haven't fished Big Sandy in years, but when I did, it had good caddis hatches. I noticed tons of caddis cases, too.

You can't go wrong with various caddis patterns on that crick, both wet and dry.

I also agree with greenghost's list although I never fished Little Sandy. At least not near the special part.

Most of Sandy is pretty flat and gets pretty warm though. Or at least I assumed it gets warm so I never fished it for trout after memorial day. That is only a guess though. But even if my guess is accurate, it might fish OK near where cold streams enter.

Likely pretty good smallmouth fishing closer to the river, too.

Back