Sandal suggestions for Wet Wading

BruceC2C

BruceC2C

Any GravelBar, will do just fine. 365. Fresh&Salt
Requesting suggestions for Companies/ Brands who make a thoughtfully designed sandals for wet wading.

In previous years, I wore boots.

Recently, just being lazy, decided to " test" old pair of Columbia sandals.

These were " open" type design sandals.
I was pleasantly surprised I did not accumulate small pebbles like I experience when I wear just an old pair of running shoes teamed with tight neoprene gaiters.

Now, looking for new sandals.
Maybe with toe that has "raised" lip to buffer impact with larger rocks.

The KEEN products are renowned for the oversized ToeCap...but all the KEEN Water Shoes / Sandals I have seen are " closed " design that will likely b pebble collectors.

Thank you for your input.

If we are talking stream wading, I recommend that you go back to wearing wading shoes/boots. I actually use the same wading boots that I use with stocking foot waders and have a pair of neoprene socks(?) that make them fit the same as they would if I was wearing waders. Not sure what they are called, but they fit up over the ankles. I think they also have flaps that cover the top of the laces, just like my waders.

I personally hate walking in sandals, even when at the beach, but that is just me.

Sandals for wading.... NOPE.

If you are fishing out of a drift boat and just jump out to fish a spot once in a while anything will work. In fact, this is the only time sandals make any sense for me.

If you intend to walk any distance or spend most of your time wading, boots are the way to go. Preferably, sized to accommodate a neoprene sock with a roll down cuff to keep crap out of your boot. I just wear my regular wading boots, though if I was made out of money I would buy an extra pair sized to fit a little tighter, just for wet wading.

Prior to settling on regular wading boots, I tried three different pairs of wet wading shoes. The shoes fit like sneakers and worked fine but lacked support and were too soft and thin so your feet get beat up wading. Not practical for long multi day trips. Feet just get too sore after a couple days.

If I wet wade with sandals I like to have a closed toe cap in order to protect my toes. A friend of mine was wading in open-toed sandals and a stick penetrated and wedged itself between his big toe and the one beside it, nasty (not to mention all the bacteria that lives on sticks in freshwater).

So, now I wear something like the Keens Newport after witnessing that happen.

I use a pair of canvas CADDIS wading shoes with a pair of neoprene booties. I always wear light weight long pants when I wet wade. You never know what might get on your bare legs. I wear white socks and tuck my pant legs into the socks. Then I roll the neoprene bootie down over the top of the wading shoes to minimize gravel getting into my boots.

https://www.amazon.com/Caddis-Mens-...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584413735877931&psc=1

Stick with boots. For all the reasons already mentioned. I can’t imagine how many toes I would have broken or cut or jammed, or whatever, wearing sandals over the years instead of boots. Also, the rattlesnake I almost stepped on a month or so ago. I’d much rather have the protection of boots than sandals. Sandals are for the beach. Not stream fishing or walking around in the woods in PA.

There’s usually pros and cons to everything FFing gear related, and what works for one may not work for another. This is a rare exception, I see zero upside to sandals. It’s not like your feet get hot in boots submerged in water. Maybe if you knew you were gonna be in a boat all day, maybe.

Last edited:
"Also, the rattlesnake I almost stepped on a month or so ago. I’d much rather have the protection of boots than sandals. Sandals are for the beach. Not stream fishing or walking around in the woods in PA."

You could get bitten by a vicious turtle.

Absolutely spot on.

Attachments

• 2018-07-21_0342.JPG
    2018-07-21_0342.JPG
    236.7 KB · Views: 19
Too many microbes in the water now days ..... ya first get a scratch or cut from a thorn and ya never know what's going to wind up in your system when you then get in the water. Didn't one of our posters get flesh- eating microbe a few yers ago from this type of contact ?

Last edited:
Several people on here have had flesh eating bacteria. Some have been able to control it with meds and suffered minimal damage. I know one person that could not stop the progress of the bacteria and had to have large sections removed from their leg. It's not limited to PA because the one person contacted it in CO or MT.

If you must have sandals....

That is why I wear nylon fishing pants tucked into my neoprene booties. A far less likelihood of getting a scratch and/or bacteria into a wound.

What's the deal with all this talk about bacteria? I'm not here to dispute, but am just curious. I have waded through some pretty disgusting water and have crawled through gooseshit to get at some bluegill and have never gotten an illness due to my fishing adventures. My feet are pretty ragged too, ok maybe, THAT is an infection, I'm thinking fungal. But still, I have not gotten an infection due to fishing.

A couple guys on here circa 10+ years got tore up pretty good with it and had a rough go of it for a while.

The risk is low, but, the risk is higher than if you wear waders clearly. Everyone can choose what risks they’re willing to tolerate in that regard.

I don’t like the idea of sandals just from an ankle and foot protection perspective, but there’s definitely a legacy sentiment around here that is fearful of infections from wet wading because of those experiences documented by those guys on PAFF. Rightfully so. Scary stuff, even if the risk is relatively low.

Water temp, species of bacteria/bacterial vectors, integrity of skin barrier, diabetes, peripheral vascular disease, time till treatment sought, how many unfenced cattle emptied their fart box into the creek that day and many many more factors. Yea waders safest.

My go to for wet wading. Orvis Men's Ultralight Wading Boot with studs and neoprene wading socks with gravel guards.

Yea waders safest.
I usually agree with you on most things to the point of labelling myself as an ecoterrorist, but I simply refuse to wear waders unless they are necessary in keeping me from getting hypothermia. I also don't like having to be mindful of them as I prefer to bush-whack with reckless abandon. Definitely not rocking them now as I am pond fishing trying to get the state record bluegill (I'm 5 inches shy) and wouldn't wear them in moving water in the near Death Valley temps we are experiencing, which I presume is caused by global warming that is caused by sportscars, or at least that's what social media tells me. Waders are also horrible at moisture and heat dissipation.

Safest thing is to just stay home and cruise the message boards and social media.

Back