Salwater Rod for the Keys

fisherprice13

fisherprice13

Going on a trip in two weeks and it will be my first time in the salt. Any advice on gear for this time of year. My guide has stuff but I would like to take some myself?

If you can take only one fly rod, I'd suggest a 9' for a 9WT line.

An 8WT will cover a lot of bases too, but whether you choose an 8 or 9, make sure you have a good drag system and at least 100yds (I like 200) of #30 backing. If you've never fished salt, it's an entirely new game - fish are much stronger and will amaze you with how far and fast they run......like nothing in freshwater her in PA ('cept maybe a big carp on an open river). Salt game fish really pull!

Frankly, there are so many gamefish and so many different ways in which one can pursue fly fishing in the Keys.....no single rod can cover all the bases. This time of year - mid March - is a bit early on the flats but things should start picking up. You can (and probably will, esp if you use a guide) see bonefish, permit, small tarpon, jacks, small sharks, snappers, and cudas. A 9WT will handle all of them handily as long as you're wise enough not to try and hook big sharks (big is relative, on Keys flats I'd define that as any BTs or lemons over about 3-4' long, although they get much larger than this) or tarpon over 50 or 60lbs.
Out on the reef you'll be targeting bigger critters and a 10-12WT rod would be better......but for flats, I'd recommend a 9WT or an 8WT if you mainly wish to target bonefish.

If you can take two rods, make 'em an 8WT and 10 or 11WT.

Fly fishing in the Keys is complicated (and challenging).

I agree with Fishidiot rod wise. It will be early for some species due to water temps. Gg

gulfgreyhound wrote: It will be early for some species due to water temps. Gg

Yep - this is worth keeping in mind. If Florida has been anything like the rest of the eastern US, there may be some very cold water temps. I've taken water temps on Oceanside flats around Islamorada in mid March that were 65 degrees.
While it's possible to find and catch bonefish in these sorts of cold temps.....it can be mighty tough. I have never personally seen a bonefish on the flats when water temps were under about 70-72 degrees. It pays to take a thermometer. On the bright side, if the water temps are still cold, this is a great time to find big barracudas laid up on the flats. I think cudas in the Keys are tough to catch on a fly but, man, you can have a blast with a spin rod and a tube lure. Great fun.

Fisher pm sent

GenCon

What are you going after. I have yet to fly fish in the keys but I have caught the species of fish you will be going after. Except a tarpon that on the hit list.
8wt species
Snook, redfish basically all inshore species besides tarpon an 8 wt will be ok.

The fish you might need a heavier setup for are tarpon a 12 wt would work. Barracuda a 10wt would work. Jacks a 9wt is a good choice. Albies aka little tunny a 9 or 10 wt is what you want. Tons of fish down there.

My buddy who just moved there hasnt had much luck lately. I think the reds are still offshore spawning. He has been catching lady fish and macks. He is also in sarasota so there is some distance from you.

my head is spinning at the thought of Florida fishing- and I live there.
Tons of fish but there's oceans of water so the trick is finding when and where the fish feed.
About like the first time you hit big water like the Missouri in Montana.the fish are there but pinpointing them can be tricky.
If you don't want to hire a guide just for a day suggest prospecting with the unmentionable and then break out the long rod.

Back