Saltwater fly rod and reel from Cabelas

M

Murdoc

I’m thinking about getting a Saltwater setup for South Jersey. I feel a 9 weight is probably the best weight for a good all around setup. I would be fishing for stripers out front in Cape May to Avalon most from hard structure; also weakfish and flounder in the inlet/bays. I would like to purchase the setup from Cabelas since I have some gift cards there. My budget is about $500. What would be the best rod and reel they offer for these situations? Any feedback is appreciated

Hard to say, I'll check the Cabelas web site. You look on there too, and see what they have that fits your needs. Yes a 9 wt will do the job very good, The reel , you have to have something with a very good drag, it's different than fishing for trout. You will need backing, 20lb or 30lb, 20 lb should be fine. Then , a good fly line. I'll get back in awhile.

Ok, Cabela's, Orvis clearwater 9' 9wt saltwater rod, reel, not much. the reddigton behemot 9/10 reel, cheap, great drag.Rod=on sale 299.99, reel 149.99.It depends on how mush you have in gift cards, I would look up Colton rods and reels. There better than what you will find at Cabelas. Heres what he has, Colton has a sale on now. Tradewinds 9'9wt saltwater rod, ,$189.00 Reel terrapin 7/9 $315.00. These are all made in the U.S.A. then you can use your gift cards for backing, line. Colton sell all this stuff to. Look them up and give them a call. I use his reels, there great. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies I did some research into Colton and seems like everyone has nice things to say about them. They’re not far from my parents house. I will probably give them a call this week. Hopefully I can get some time down South Jersey soon to break it in.

Murdoc, You won't be sorry. The reels are fantastic. They win a lot of tournaments with the. I use his reels, I love them , smooth as silk, and great drags. I passed on a Tibor , To me it's juast as good. The price is great for what you get. I don't have the rods, I use an older Orvis silver label for saltwater, but I'm thinking of replacing it, I will get a Colton rod. Let me know how you make out.

I have an im6 and imx in 9 or 10 and a battenkill with rio line. Used a few times. I’m down in Woodbury if you want to take them and try them out on approval your welcome to them. Use them a season and buy or return. IMHO it’s a PITA but then I have a friend who loves it on IBSP or sandy hook.

Back