salmon/steelhead help

marcq

marcq

im looking to go target some fish up in ny this season. i never fished for salmon or steelhead before so i need some advice. i have an 8wt rod or do i need to go up a weight. for flies im guessing egg patterns mostly. dont really know how to target them any help would really help.

thanks marc

An 8 wt is a little on the light side, but workable.

My salmon rigs:

2.5 ft 25lb amnesia blood knotted to 7 ft of 15lb mono.

I tie a barrel swivel to the mono, leaving a 4 inch tag. Tie an overhand knot in the tag to use as a shot dropper. Use as little weight possible. You should feel the bottom, but only get snagged occasionally.

Add 3 ft or so of 1x fluoro to the end and attach your fly. If you are using an indie, pinch a small (bb or so) shot or two to the tippet. If you're not, you can do without the extra shot. Both methods have their place, but you'll have to experiment.

When I was there, the fish were on anything blue. Estaz, eggs, stoneflies, bunny leeches, and buggers. I like to carry all of the above in some kind of red, orange, blue, chartreuse, white, and pink.

Other methods are effective, but I have done best on a dead drift.

Loren Williams site has some good info: http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com/

Perhaps he'll chime in with advice.

I neglected to mention that I only use about 4 or 5 ft of 15lb mono when using an indie in shallower water. The distance between the indicator (which I keep on the amnesia) and the shot dropper should be a foot or two more than the depth of the water.

so do you use the swivel to connect your 15lb and your 1x(fly) and then run a separate line to drop lead from off the swivel?

I use a swivel during salmon season because it prevents the headache of wading out of the river to have my rig checked by the DEC. They recommend swivels to make the distance between weight and fly more visible. (most allowed is 4')

I just leave a long tag on one of my clinch knots. put an overhand knot on the end, and add shot. When I get snagged, they just pull off.

When the circus leaves town, I usually use blood knots when my one pack of swivels is gone. In that case, I leave a long tag on one side of that for shot when slinging lots of lead. Hopefully the flows will cooperate and that won't have to happen this year.

ok thanks for the good info, one more question is the fishing more like sight fishing. find a fish and cast till you get a strike or dead drift flies in large pools.

Neither.

Dead drifting flies in fast water and deep runs is how I have success.

Your 8wt will work perfectly. Eggs are the best patterns to start with. We do mostly sight fishing for steel head, because if you do not see a fish, there really isn't one there. Unless of course you happen to know some snag areas where fish tend to hang out on their way up of down stream.

Tight lines.....

Back