Salmon River, NY - Veterans Day Weekend

geebee

geebee

Hi Guys,

I'm tentatively thinking about heading up there that weekend 8-11th - any advice on the crowds/fish runs etc ?

It will be my first trip up there with the Switch rod, I was thinking of having a couple of days up there on the DSR and maybe float tube one day off the beach with the SH.

thoughts ?

i know the Ohio Steelhead Jam is that weekend but thats a little far for me..

Cheers

Mark.

Good fishing (weather permitting of course), but there will be crowds.

Switch rods need a little more space, which is possible if you walk a little. The runs between Refrigerator Hole and Pineville Bridge and down around the 2A bridge seem to be spots where you see more two handed fly casters. Water should in a temperature where the steelies will be in the "hot" water which gives you places many people avoid in favor of the pools. They can be in riffles that don't look promising, but hold fish moving through.

DSR is a good option. I have mixed feelings about the Fly Zones. They do hold lots of fish and are fly friendly, but they are often crowded and traveling clubs/groups often monopolize the good spots. Another plus is that there are plenty of excellent spey casters to watch and learn from. Many will help you out if you are nice about asking. Some days I enjoy the company; other days it is the last place on Earth I'd like to be.

I'm not sure I'd like to be in a float tube on Lake Ontario in November. That area is notorious for bad weather blowing up and the westerlies can build up some huge waves.

If the Salmon is high or crowded, look to the Sandys as an option. Never hurts to learn a few more options.

Thanks Jeff, thats really helpful - i meant Erie Steelhead Jam btw.

I would like to try the Sandy's too. I don't mind a few anglers around, as long as I can find a run or riffle to fish.

Cheers

Mark.

Back