Salmon River drift boat launch sites

S

Smokeypro

I am looking for launch sites on the salmon River. Per the state web site I only seen two spots near Altmar. Is anyone familiar with other access sites on the River?

Should be ramps in Altmar, Pineville and one at the compactor. The upper portion is probably the easiest to navigate. Going below the compactor isn't advised. Remember that you will need to get sufficient flows or you're just going to destroy your boat.

Thank you for the guidance

There really isnt a lot to gain taking a drift boat on the SR. You still cannot anchor or fish private water if you're in a boat. The public water can be accessed pretty easily everywhere by walking. I hope you have a high side drift boat, I think most of the people who run them there use aluminum ones.

Yes, I do have a high side drift boat. Unfortunately I have some medical limitations that prohibits me from wading so I'm stuck drifting. The feedback and warnings regarding anchoring are greatly appreciated. Any additional input is accepted willingly. I'm desperate to fish, so kinda making acceptions to my normal behavior.

I think there are lots of places to anchor between Altmar and the compactor. There are also several places where your boat will run over the shoetops of the Wade anglers because things pinch in tight. Not sure of flow minimum because I'd rather eat a pound of my own crap than fish there. Thinking it has to be 700-ish to get a boat through. There are tons of braids and islands, if you are not familiar with where you're going oh, you may get your boat stuck and have to walk it back 1/2 Mile. Make sure you look at a map before you even think of pushing off.

I have a buddy who's been up there fishing for weeks. Two fish. That's pathetic. Wouldn't waste gas or my time to freeze and catch a measly fish or two

Like mentioned before, going below the compactor will be a problem and not recommended.

As Andy said, there are literally TONS of places to anchor and fish between altmar and pineville. Like he also stated, the upper river is a maze and you have to know where your going. Study google maps or go with someone who knows it for the first time. Lots of strainers and trees down across some of the smaller slots.

The fishing has been awfully sub par so far this winter. I live 25 minutes away and Im going to start trout fishing the smaller creeks soon instead.

Chris,
Can you feel my love for the SR? LMAO

I've never met someone who is a bigger advocate for a river! LOL!

Back