Salmon hooks

dc410

dc410

Looking for recommendations from anybody with experience on good quality salmon hooks (sizes 2-6) for pink, silver, chum and sockeye salmon in the Pacific Northwest. Thanks.

Gamakatu T10-6H

I’ve had good success with Sabre hooks for egg flies. Size 6 and 8.

Dude....takin a trip??

Thanks for the responses, guys.

laurelrun wrote:
I’ve had good success with Sabre hooks for egg flies. Size 6 and 8.

The Saber hooks are obviously one of the lower priced hooks, which is appealing but my top consideration is the durability of the hook. I have absolutely no experience with Saber hooks at this time. Saber does make a traditional salmon hook (#7055). Is this hook strong enough to hold a salmon (some silvers may clear 10 lbs) without experiencing consistent hook failures?

DC, I’ve tied a couple hundred on Saber 7323, caught several dozen kings on them and experienced zero failures. I don’t have experience with the 7055 but I do use their barbless jig hooks and also have had zero failures albeit on smaller fish. I like them for the salmon river NY because it eats tackle constantly. Price to quality is perfect for that scenario and I’ve landed salmon over 20lbs. Hope that helps.

laurelrun wrote:
DC, I’ve tied a couple hundred on Saber 7323, caught several dozen kings on them and experienced zero failures. I don’t have experience with the 7055 but I do use their barbless jig hooks and also have had zero failures albeit on smaller fish. I like them for the salmon river NY because it eats tackle constantly. Price to quality is perfect for that scenario and I’ve landed salmon over 20lbs. Hope that helps.

Thank you, I appreciate your help.

Mustad #90240!

maxima12 wrote:
Mustad #90240!

Will probably be fishing mostly subsurface patterns. The 2X fine wire on the Mustad 90240 is a concern as durability is my most important factor.

I would stick with hooks that say 2x heavy.

Gamagatsu or daiichi x510 for egg hooks. Gamagatsu or daiichi x452 for streamer hooks.

I'm sure tiemco has hooks as well but I'm not familiar with them. If you're going all the way across the country I wouldnt get cute and try and save 10 bucks on hooks - just my oppinion.

Favorite TMC 105 sharp but expensive

Budget alternative
Mustad 37132 in 100 packs
Wide Gap Classic Hook, Point Bent In, 2 Extra Strong, Reversed - Bronze

Certainly not as sharp out of the box as TMC but are about $8 per 100 pack

Back