Salmon Fly Tie Tack Pins

F

Fishidiot

If you're thinking about a different fly tying project for the upcoming winter months, consider tying up a couple tie or lapel pins based on flies. I enjoy tying decorative salmon flies and here's a simple design sceme to enable you to show off your fly tying skill - as the saying goes, "great conversation piece." Fly tie tacks make a nice little gift and might be popular at a fundraising banquet or something of this sort. To tie my salmon fly tie tack, you'll need some heavy gage wire (a very heavy paper clip might work but I prefer heavy wire, about the strength of a hook shank but bendable), a pair of wire cutters, a single bead from a chain of dog tag beads, some superglue, kevlar or heavy thread, and a brass insignia clutch.

STEP 1:
Cut a length of wire about inch and bend it into an "L" shape. Cut one end at an angle to make a sharp point. Cut the sharp tip off the hook or grind it so it's dull but not so dull it won't fit into the hole in the chain bead.

STEP 2:
Tie the wire to the hook shank so that the pointed end is about mid shank. Lash it firmy with a strong thread and then re-inforce with some superglue and head cement. This protruding piece of pointed wire is the actual "pin" that will poke thru the fabric and connect with the brass clutch.

STEP 3:
Put a drop of superglue on the tip of the hook point and press the bead on to the point creating a ball point and covering up the sharp hook tip. Press the bead on firmy and seal with some more superglue.

You're now ready to tie the fly itself. Streamer flies used as tie tacks are usually best when tied with hair wing rather than delicate feather wings as feathers will merely get all ruffed up after awhile whereas a hair wing will be more sturdy and keep it's shape better. I'd recommend putting head cement or a varnish on jungle **** eyes too to keep them durable. The photo shows the set-up and a finished salmon fly tie tack "tacked" to a tie. Have fun and wear your tying prowess with pride. :)

Attachments

• Tietack.jpg
    Tietack.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 9
Looks like a neat project, Dave.

I would love to try my hand at tying some classic salmon flies.

Sweetness Dave.

I might make one of those. . .

Heck I'll tie a big hares ear or something. Salmon fly would be sick though.

Back