Salmon Flies (not the insect)

F

Fishidiot

Some years ago I went through a phase where I was enamored with classic style salmon flies and tied a fair number - some of which were decent, most were a far cry from what I saw in books and shows. Nevertheless, it was a fun aspect of fly tying that, I'm convinced, made me better at conventional flies. It also made tying fun as the hobby had gradually become a bit too much like maintenance, esp back in the days when I had a part time job tying flies for FFP and cranking out dozens of Muddlers, Hare's Ears etc. Decorative salmon flies were a challenging distraction but I still felt that the end products still were not up to standard. Eventually, it was explained to me that the key to a good salmon fly was mostly in getting the golden pheasant crest to lay over the fly correctly and in the right shape/proportion. The final fly was "good" if the pheasant crest overwing tip curved down and touched the tip of the upcurved tail. The tips needed to just touch, not overlap. The pheasant crest feathers I used were often warped and getting the tips to touch was frustrating. One of the salmon fly gurus at the Somerset show later taught me a trick to get the pheasant crests straight: soak 'em and then lay 'em out on a sheet of glass to dry. Once dried, they were straight. Once I had this trick mastered (you can also sandwich 'em in a book, just remember what page :-D ) my salmon flies started looking better. Eventually, I was proud enough of my salmon flies to frame a few for gifts, TU banquets etc. I even tied up some with metal posts that could function as hat/tie tacks. Anyway, I've tried a couple salmon flies this winter - here's my most recent.
If you have never tried tying classic style salmon flies you might give it a try. The finished flies make a nice decorative addition to your desk or wall and tying these often frustrating but ultimately rewarding works of art will make you a better tyer and add some challenge to the hobby. I recommend it!

That is pretty wild! I never tied old style salmon flies. It looks intricate.

FI- nice. This fly fishing thing is a great hobby.

Although the word hobby used to describe how I feel about fly fishing is.. well..ridiculus. (and a man in my position cannot afford to be called ridiculus-?? ha) Perhaps obsessed would be a better term.

Know a guy who ties flies for art and not fishing. He has wild looking stuff. Not for me but I can appreciate it. (not that I have that skillset mind you)

http://www.loopfly.net/2007/05/25/art-flies-by-ken-vallino/

FI- had you been Atlantic Salmon fishing? I heard it is the fish of 10,000 casts. Looks like it is big gaudy flies you swing like wets- right? Not on my radar yet. Saltwater just getting into my blood. Gotta lift a tarpon first!

acris,
I've never been fishing for Atlantic Salmon but would love to try it sometime. Truth be told, I'm more addicted to the salt thing and saltwater trips are easier and more affordable. Remember that ad for (I think) Scientific Anglers a few years ago? The one that said, "the human brain is 80% saltwater - no wonder you can't stop thinking about it."
Your brain is "normal" my friend :-D

maybe one day there will be a decent Atlantic Salmon fisherie in the US....

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=174085&ac=PHnws

Until the maine fishery comes back, it's entirely too expensive for such a (probably) fruitless endeavor. When I'm old and wise enough to not mind traveling that far to not catch fish, it could be fun. Until then, the zen of it isn't enough.

By the way, beautiful fly.

Check this site: Upper Ox Bow. Found them last year and fished out of their lodge. It is on the Miramichi River in New Brunswick.All that water is private and you must have a guide .It was $350 a day all inclusive. Great lodge with super guides and good home cooking.I want to get back up there this May for the drop back salmon and the big Brookies,to 5 lbs.With the exchange rate it should be cheap and not a long drive from Pa.Guide furnished all the files and tippet material.Green machines,were the topfly ,but the name and patterns are mind boggling.It's English style salmon fishing: cast ,drift, retrieve, take 2 steps ,repeat till you have fished the pool. Walk back upstream,maybe change flies and repeat.

Exchange rate is $1.00 Us to $1.26 Canadian.

Back