Salmon Fishing

FlyMaster99

FlyMaster99

Anyone go up state NY to fish for salmon? I've had great times in the past but this year is worrying me with how low the rivers are running. Any thoughts?

I was wondering the same thing. DSR reports they are catching fish, but I don't think the majority of fish came in off the lake yet. Flows are about half of what they were last year. They need rain badly, like most of this state.

If you want bright salmon now is the time to go. Do a lot of walking the fish are there. If you want lots of black fish wait until Columbus day.

Pretty sure the FF only section recently closed due to low flows.

Closed until further notice. Don't take my word for it though. Verify.

Millsertime wrote:
Pretty sure the FF only section recently closed due to low flows.

Closed until further notice. Don't take my word for it though. Verify.

From the link I posted in my above post >

With the recent low water conditions the Lower Fly Fishing Catch & Release Area will be closed from September 15th through October 31, 2020. Drought conditions have produced low and warm water conditions, therefore the Lower Fly Fishing Area will remain closed in order to help ensure an adequate Pacific Salmon egg take at the Salmon River Hatchery during the fall 2020 spawning season. Any questions or concerns contact the Region 7 Fisheries office at 607-753-3095 x 204.

I got a report from a guy that fished DSR three days. Said there are fish moving but only about ~10 per day that were rested and you could cast at. I'm just hoping flows and runs are good around Oak area

Oak orchard starts later than salmon river. Still pretty early there.

The Oak is an October fisheries. The Archers Club is going to be closed due to Covid.You can still fish that area,but can't use their facilities. GG

I know it's early for the Oak but I'm still nervous. Last year the water was off a lot for us and the runs were pretty bad. Just hoping this year is a little different and I heard St. Mary's was closed but I rarely if ever even make it in there, good to hear we'll still be able to fish there though.

Just FYI.

Read this report on another site from an experienced SR angler >

Received a report today from my brother who went up and the river is very low, mass amounts of people circled around every deep pool that still exists.

We are both seasoned SR guys whom have been going up for Salmon and Steel Head for 30 years combined..

He walked several miles today and saw only a few fish.
He ended up getting a day pass at the DSR and got into a few fresh ones, landing 1 this morning.

As soon as the sun gets up, the fish stop moving upstream and any fish in the river hold tight in the deeper holes till night fall.
Not a good season thus far.
They need rain and a lot of it.

The reservoir is at an all time low. Some locals report it being as low as 10'-0" below normal.
The river is at 185 right now with assumptions that the dam release close further and will drop the river flow down to 110 in the near future.

The lower fly zone is closed till 10-31-20 with speculation that it will be closed indefinitely to give fish that run the river at night some place to rest without being harassed.

Definitely NOT worth the trip and expense this year...

They just started the flows back up on Oak yesterday I believe. Guess there were a few fish caught. The water on Oak was drawn way down for some repairs to a gas line and to remove some trees from what I was told. I'm headed up there the 25th of this month for the weekend and possibly every weekend in October.

Article about the closing of the FFing area on the Salmon River >

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdoors/2020/09/dec-lower-fly-fishing-only-zone-on-salmon-river-closed-until-oct-31.html

Fished the Dsr today. Beautiful day. Lots of Big fish. Low water. Amazingly had two big pods of fish all to myself for hours. Despite the pools being deep, water was very clear and could see everything going on. Trying to get fish that aren’t interested in eating to take a fly is virtually impossible. One pod all dark and colored and one pod chrome and light. I watched all day fish see my fly and dart out of the way. When I was done fishing I just watched others fish and it was kinda depressing to watch pods of kings surrounded by 10 anglers just throwing heavy rigs at them nonstop with a fish getting snagged once in a while. Not exactly my kind of fishing. I get a lot more enjoyment out of getting a fish to actually eat than a take out of annoyance. I’ll probably do it again but at the end of the day there’s a lot of other types of fishing I’d rather do.

ryc72, what you experienced is typical of the salmon fishing. Occasionally you will get a salmon to move to your fly, but not very often. I have pretty much given up on the salmon and fish for the trout that follow the salmon in. Although catching the salmon while back trolling a plug is awesome when one hits.

Biggie, I think I’m following in your footsteps. I’ll probably go a couple more times and if I do it’ll probably be early season with fewer people and fresher fish. I’m wondering if fishing for king salmon in Alaska is a similar experience...annoying a fish into taking a fly. If it is, I’ll probably take a salmon trip to Alaska off my list of things to do.

If you hit salmon right they will hit swung flies. Doesn't happen on the salmon river often because the fish get hammered so hard.

I've caught lots of salmon in rivers on spoons i.e. glow in the dark little cleos. I've also caught many on swung flies. Very few of these salmon were caught at oak orchard or salmon river.

Steelhead fishing on the sr or oak really isn't much different than salmon fishing there. It's all basically drifting a fly into a fishes mouth. Where you put your split shot on your leader is orders of magnitude more important than your fly selection if you want to "catch" a bunch of fish.

There is at one place in ny right now that is fishing very well for salmon that are attacking baits.

What moon says is spot on. If you want to "catch" big numbers you learn how to line fish. My buddies "catch" more fish than I do usually but my set up is a little different from theirs and I don't deliberately line fish. Rarely do I fish where you can see the fish so you don't have the temptation to set the hook without a take. Finding salmon that are not spooked on the main rivers is almost impossible. First light low in the river is your best chance.

yeah. im convinced that the chuck and duck dsr king salmon fishing is mainly about flossing fish. i personally find it kind of boring and unfulfilling. that being said, there are definitely folks there that are really really good at that kind of fishing.

Just returned from 4 days at SR. Fished DSR..water was low about 185 CFS. Usually running around 360 CFS. With low water, the fish were stacked in all the typical holes. Guys were stacked there too. The river needs water. Seems like the chorus for fishing anywhere in NE USA.

To find some solace I moved around a bit to avoid the crowds. If you found some faster water with a bit of froth, there was about a 1 in 4 chance a fish would be there. You would get 2 or 3 casts at them and they would be gone.

Long 10 and 12 pound fluorocarbon leaders were required.Fish were super spooky. Bright egg flies were a no no. Earth toned flies were alot less spooky to fish. I used size 6 and 8 stone flies. Simple tie, 2 black "rubber legs" for tail and 4 or 5 wraps of estaz in dark olive, root beer or black for body.

Fishing did get better as the week went by but still not "Hot". I left friday morning and of course it was their best day according to DSR report.

Also want a shout out here to Dominic Swentoski of Troutbitten. I adapted his mono rig by upsizing it for salmon and placing light sinker above fly ( to be compliant with NYDNR) It worked well. Single diameter fly line under water and concentrate on keeping everything in one current lane. Most of the hook ups were legal. With higher water the method may be a bit more difficult due to wading into proper position. But it is something to consider with low water.

Back