Sale on Hardy Ultralight rods...

That is an excellent ride that will handle just about anything in Pennsylvania you throw at it. Good price point

I pulled the trigger on the 9’ 4wt Hardy Ultralite. I’ve been wanting a 4wt and this was the excuse I needed.

I pulled the trigger on the 9’ 4wt Hardy Ultralite. I’ve been wanting a 4wt and this was the excuse I needed.
Did you get the 9'2" 4wt version of the UL LL? I have found that rod to be a most excellent long range dry rod. I like that you can dig into it and also fish it delicately. I very stupidly traded mine, for an H3 at that (even worse). Now that I have an Asquith 4wt in the quiver I don't feel the need to get one of these again but would like to have mine back (the friend I traded it to is quite hesitant to let go of it and he hasn't even fished it yet!) just to look at its gorgeous cosmetics and to directly compare it to the Asquith (in my head I think they tie).

I have found the Orvis Pro Line trout taper textured line in a 5wt seems to be the line for this rod. Expensive I know, heck the most expensive line I've bought and probably will ever by, but if you had a Porsche GT2 would you not equip it with Michelin Sport Cups?

I have found that the UL LL in the 4wt 9'2" and the LL 2wt 10'2" to be excellent. NSX 6wt 9'6" rod is bomb too. Heck, out of the 4 new Hardy rods I've owned I liked them all. Found them all to have a great light feel and good power/accuracy. At this price these rods are a PHENOMENAL buy! Thanks for sharing Jeremy.

Did you get the 9'2" 4wt version of the UL LL? I have found that rod to be a most excellent long range dry rod. I like that you can dig into it and also fish it delicately. I very stupidly traded mine, for an H3 at that (even worse). Now that I have an Asquith 4wt in the quiver I don't feel the need to get one of these again but would like to have mine back (the friend I traded it to is quite hesitant to let go of it and he hasn't even fished it yet!) just to look at its gorgeous cosmetics and to directly compare it to the Asquith (in my head I think they tie).

I have found the Orvis Pro Line trout taper textured line in a 5wt seems to be the line for this rod. Expensive I know, heck the most expensive line I've bought and probably will ever by, but if you had a Porsche GT2 would you not equip it with Michelin Sport Cups?
I purchased the 9’ 4wt Ultralite, not the LL version.

Pretty bomb though. Let us know how it casts/fishes and you overall opinion. I still think that Orvis line would be a good pairing for it (if you wanna cough up Fishpond net money for line haha). If not, I TOTALLY understand. I'm not a big fan of expensive lines. Lines wear out. I just bought that line for that rod because I anticipated it working well on the rod, which it did. Textured lines sound cool going through guides in general, if you like that kind of noise. The dirtier the line gets the louder it gets. Orvis offers the same line in a smooth style too.

I'm actually quite surprised why these new Hardy rods are getting discontinued. I was thinking these were the rods that were going to be the new rage. I suppose they going to roll out something even crazier next, can't wait!

Pretty bomb though. Let us know how it casts/fishes and you overall opinion. I still think that Orvis line would be a good pairing for it (if you wanna cough up Fishpond net money for line haha). If not, I TOTALLY understand. I'm not a big fan of expensive lines. Lines wear out. I just bought that line for that rod because I anticipated it working well on the rod, which it did. Textured lines sound cool going through guides in general, if you like that kind of noise. The dirtier the line gets the louder it gets. Orvis offers the same line in a smooth style too.

I'm actually quite surprised why these new Hardy rods are getting discontinued. I was thinking these were the rods that were going to be the new rage. I suppose they going to roll out something even crazier next, can't wait!
I already have a Rio Gold 5wt line that I’m going to try with the rod when I fish it. I will see how that goes before checking out the Orvis line.

Well the 9' 6wt is def a xlarge fly / streamer rod to me, it fits where I needed something, but I'd say the 8.5ft 4wt is much more of a small fly rod.

I already have a Rio Gold 5wt line that I’m going to try with the rod when I fish it. I will see how that goes before checking out the Orvis line.
As always, test out the line you already have and see how you like it. I always try lines on rods when lawn casting to get an idea of what I want for the rod. I'd imagine your rod may have a bit more power than the LL versions. I have found, across all of the Hardy rods I've owned is that they seem to like a trout taper line. More aggressive shooting heads seem to bog them down. Gold is a pretty standard line so it should work well (in theory) methinks. Also your casting stroke may have a preference for a certain fly line.

Here's what I ran on my Hardy rods;
7ft 3wt SR, Orvis Pro Textured Trout 5WF-F (a bit heavy but I wanted the rod to load well in close)
Hardy UL LL 10'2" 2wt (RIO Technical Trout 4WF-F Smooth) (the only rod I own that uses RIO) (I overlined it to assist in handling indicator rigs)
4wt 9'2", Orvis Pro as previously stated
6wt 9'6" NSX (not sure what the specific model is but it's green with exposed glossy carbon fiber towards the handle), Scientific Anglers GPX 6WF-F (sucks this line is discontinued, I may swap to MPX or Infinity in the near future)

Overall I have been very satisfied with these rods, no major complaints. The 3wt didn't see enough action to justify keeping (I have WAY too many small creek rods) and the matching Hardy CAD reel I bought to match it with its almost non-existent reel body didn't appeal to me so I ended up trading the combo. The reel felt cheap to me and I hated how the 1 wt DT line I had on it could sometimes slip out from the spool. The 4wt was swapped for an H3 on impulse to better match a reel I recently acquired.

Any thoughts on what reel to buy for the 9ft 5wt? The rod is so light that I don't want to purchase the wrong reel and have the rod be completely out of balance.

Any thoughts on what reel to buy for the 9ft 5wt? The rod is so light that I don't want to purchase the wrong reel and have the rod be completely out of balance.
If money's no object, visit a tackle shop and try on a few options. Remember that it's somewhat rude to do this if you leave the shop and buy online. You can also try this question on the swap forum.

If money's no object, visit a tackle shop and try on a few options. Remember that it's somewhat rude to do this if you leave the shop and buy online. You can also try this question on the swap forum.
If the shop won’t match the online price then tough cookies. I can’t think of a single “local fly shop” in eastern or central PA that is hurting financially.

If the shop won’t match the online price then tough cookies. I can’t think of a single “local fly shop” in eastern or central PA that is hurting financially.
As a brutally frugal person, I get it. I haven't even been in the same room as a Hardy rod or reel.

I'd go light, probably around a 3.5-4.0 oz., reel, whatever kind of reel style suits your needs/fancy.

Back