Salamander with brown and blue wraps

Baron

Baron

I began a new rod wrap. 4Wt. 7.5' fiberglass from Proof Fly Fishing. The color is beautiful.
Cigar handle.

How many of you have a decorative wrap at the tiptop?

I don’t get fancy at all, antique gold or red silk trimmed in black are the only two colors I use with the exception of my daughters rods they are pink trimmed in black. Her rods are also blonde, all others are flamed. Joe E

How decorative can you get at the tip-top? That's a very narrow area. I like the cigar grip.

So, in short, no windings at the tip?

Always wrap the tip. How many wraps is up to you it is your rod.

Decorative wraps are usually done in front of the grips. I will make a few wraps so the butt end of the tip is flush with the rod. The thread either matches the guide wraps or the color of the blank. I did one decorative butt wrap on the 1st 8 wgt I built. A single white Maltese Cross on the top and bottom of the blank. I've got to replace the grip on one of my 6 wgt rods over the winter. I'm thinking about putting some sort of on it. May do the Maltese Cross again. Here's a couple of decorative wraps that I did on my spinning rods.

Attachments

• 20111224_14 (2).JPG
    20111224_14 (2).JPG
    96 KB · Views: 2
This rod is my first and I don't want to take chances. Two months ago I re-wrapped an old 1950's or 60's Wright McGill and it is very nice to use.
I'll put a simple collar below the tiptop and apply the decals that came with it above the cork handle.
Never thought to look for design ideas. I guess there is a long list of Ideas to apply.

If you want I believe I have a VHS In my library downstairs (should still be there) a fancy rod wrapping video step by step if you want it? I know I will not be using it. Joe. E

Thanks JoeE but I haven't and vhs anymore and I do have the internet. No fancy stuff on this rod.

I do wrap my tip-tops with a 1 inch wrap with trim(nothing fancy though)

Back