Sage streamer rods

JeremyW

JeremyW

Does anyone have experience with a sage streamer rod? Looking at 8wt for bass.

- Payload
- R8 Core
- Sonic

Considering these three...

I have a Payload 8+. It's serviceable for bass, but, IMO, kinda heavy for that. It feels closer to a 9 wt. Using the correct line, it will easily throw heavy, wind-resistant flies with one back cast and haul. The tip is very stiff, the butt softer. So, it's able to pick up 30+ feet of sinking line without the tip collapsing.

I'm looking to buy a 7 WT for bass.

I bought a 10'7wt from Moonshine last year. I really like this rod.

I have a Sage Payload 7wt that I use for trout streamers and smallmouth streamers. I throw a SA full intermediate and SA progressive sink 3,2, intermediate. The rod has enough back bone to throw medium to heavy streamers. Performs very well on the lakes and the rivers for me. It was a good buy, matter of fact I have two of them.

I have a Sonic 6wt. Nice rod that is pretty much all purpose. Could easily handle nymphing, small / med streamer duty and dries. I'm pretty sure that the R8 is all arounder as well. Payload is a different critter. Junk chucker. 6+ should handle 6-8 lines with ease. It will be a one trick pony. If you know that going in and decide that's what you want/need, ok. Doubtful you'll ever nymph or dry fly fish with it.

For the price of a payload, you could get a foundation 690 and a Redington vice 7 or 8 wt. I have the 7 for smallmouth and it's pretty good. Stout and fast

The Payload is really only a streamer rod.
Sage rates the #6 200-230gr so a 8wt line is right in the middle. The list price is 650.00.

Back