Sage RPL+ 690 9’ … appreciate your thoughts / comments

M

Mashbill

Gents, appreciate your thoughts on this rod. I’m thinking for large river dry fly fishing since I’ve been taking trips to the Beaverkill and East Branch of Delaware last couple years. Looking for something to really punch out drys, in some wind, etc. also would use for Erie/ Conneaut steelhead fishing in fall / winter.

my research tells me that this is a fast rod … faster than the initial RPL. Looks like it was only available for 2 years … that Sage discontinued the rpl+ And went back to the RPL ( tells me something). I know that this RPL generation — was prior to the famous XP.

if you do have any experience with this rod, I’d appreciate your thoughts. I do have a 9’ Scott S3 in a 5 wt that a use for these conditions …. Which was a new generation fast rod back then. And I love the Scott. I wonder how different a RPL+ would be vs the Scott s3.

Again and as always, any insights or thoughts are appreciated!

Gents, appreciate your thoughts on this rod. I’m thinking for large river dry fly fishing since I’ve been taking trips to the Beaverkill and East Branch of Delaware last couple years. Looking for something to really punch out drys, in some wind, etc. also would use for Erie/ Conneaut steelhead fishing in fall / winter.

my research tells me that this is a fast rod … faster than the initial RPL. Looks like it was only available for 2 years … that Sage discontinued the rpl+ And went back to the RPL ( tells me something). I know that this RPL generation — was prior to the famous XP.

if you do have any experience with this rod, I’d appreciate your thoughts. I do have a 9’ Scott S3 in a 5 wt that a use for these conditions …. Which was a new generation fast rod back then. And I love the Scott. I wonder how different a RPL+ would be vs the Scott s3.

Again and as always, any insights or thoughts are appreciated!
I have an RPL+ 690. I have used it for smallies in big rivers. If the truth be known, I never really liked that rod very much. It's really fast and actually works better with a 7wt line (so I guess it's really a 7wt). I wouldn't think of using it for dry fly fishing on the EB D River or the Beaverkill.....too much rod, IMO. It would make a decent streamer rod on big rivers for trout or like I said above, a good river smallie. For steelhead, I really don't like a really fast rod either, but the choice is yours.

I had an RPL+ 8 1/2 ft 5 wt and really loved it for an all around trout fishing rod. The casting action was perfect, for my preferences. It cast smoothly at short, medium, and long distances. I'd still be using it, but I lost it.

But, IMHO your 9 ft 5 wt is a good trout rod.

For steelhead I'd go with a 7 wt. That rod could also be used for smallmouth bass fishing, and for throwing big streamers for trout.

As always guys - thanks for the insights & expertise… very useful and much appreciated! I’m going to keep my eyes peeled for a 5 … in a RPL+ or if I get lucky … a XP.

I have a RPL+ 690 that I used on Beaverkill and East for years. It's a stout rod and is capable of long casts. Pretty stiff for in close or tiny stuff. I used to use 5.5 line and try to cast it a mile 🤣

As always guys - thanks for the insights & expertise… very useful and much appreciated! I’m going to keep my eyes peeled for a 5 … in a RPL+ or if I get lucky … a XP.
A 590 XP (I have one) would be close to ideal if you can find one.

Reactions: CRB
IMO, you would be looking for separate rods for both of those fishing activities as the desired rod properties for those two fishing scenarios are polar opposites. For dries I like a 4 or 5wt 9 footer that is fairly stiff but not a broomstick, that has reserve power for maintaining a long stabile loop with a touch of delicacy. The best examples I currently own for long range dries are the G. Loomis Asquith 4wt and Orvis H3D 5wt. I can't really decide which one I like more but the Asquith has impressed me more and I've fished it a lot more than my H3D but I might swap over to the H3D for upper Delaware trips as I'd like a bit more fish fighting power and the ability to toss some small streamers.

For steelhead fishing a like 6-8wt with a more moderate flex profile for working in close and the ability to dig deep into the rod for casting those heavy indicator rigs. Current Erie roster will be Hardy NSX 6wt 9ft 6 inch, SAGE TCX 6wt 9'6", maybe a Douglas DXF 4wt 11ft, and my trusty SAGE X 8wt 9ft that got royally abused on the DSR two weeks ago. If I can FINALLY take care of car's never-ending check engine light I may buy another Douglas DXF 11'6" 7wt to take up there for working the dreadful currents at trestle bridge or bombing streamers into the lake itself around Trout Run.

I have no experience with the RP, RPL, or RPL+. They sound like lovely rods that probably have some awesome performs traits.

Last edited:
I just registered so I could respond! I picked up a pair of Sage RPL+ (690 and 896) in the late 90’s under a guide deal. Great rods! Lightning fast - serious meat sticks. I use the 6wt for most Montana rivers, but also use it for sockeye, silvers, and steelhead. It’s a versatile rod - highly recommended!

6wt's are fine PA steelhead rods. It's just trout fishing with nymph rigs and the streams are not all that big or deep.

The key to landing them is not a stout rod. It's using a reasonable tippet size. 3x tippet will land Erie fish without a problem.

I don't own one but I've fished the rod. Not my cup of tea, it fished nice as long as you're throwing 40 ft of line or more but as soon as you need to shorten up for a 20-25' cast it feels like your fishing with a broom handle. Absolutely no feel.

Back