Sage Rod and Reel

mattwolf

mattwolf

I am going to purchase a Sage One probably a 10' 4wt. I am also looking at the Sage 4200 series reels. I was wondering what everyones opinion is on them and if I should go with the 4230 3-4 line or the 4250 5-6 line. I am not quite sure why I am getting a 10' rod either. I guess it is because I do not have one. I could be talked into the 9'6" 4wt as well. It just seems like when I am finishing I need more leader and less line in the water.

Thanks for the help.

Sage makes a 9'9" rod. It's called the '99'. It's a nymphing rod, although if you looking for a 10 footer I'm assuming that's what your intent is. Good luck!

The Sage ESN series- are also some great nymph specfic rods

Matt,

Why a 10' rod? Why not a 9' or 9'6" rod? Ask yourself those questions first. Don't get talked into getting the rod somebody else wants to get. What are you using the rod for (nymphing, dries, steelies, etc). Once you make the purchase, you're kind of stuck with it even if you don't like it. Really think and try if possible before buying. Point of reference..... TCX purchase. Ouch.

A few things to consider.
The specialized czech/european nymphing rods are very specialized for this technique. The design of these rods would make them terrible for mid to long line nymphing with heavy flies and weight and I’m not sure they are perfect for their intended purposes either. The Sage 99 is designed differently for heavy flies. I have not fished these rods on the stream (keep this in mind before weighting my opinion too much) and I'm not sure my test casts mean anything. I base my opinion by comparing the rods I have in my quiver that I nymph with (I’m a 90%-er). Then combined with the description of the rods and my handling of the two SAGE versions (European, 99) under casting only conditions.

My Sage SLT (moderate-fast) has the property of bending down into the rod, which is great for throwing those open loops with fairly normal, easy casting strokes. However, the tip is much too supple (soft) for driving flies or specialized casts and "walking" nymphs through a run with a good amount of weight. Oddly these European style rods boast a supple/sensitive tip, and for me this might be great for seeing the ticks of the rod tip from the subtle takes, this makes it worse for directing your flies through runs, rocks etc. (IMO)
Now, The Z-axis or St Croix legend Ultra rods I nymph with are fast. They have the tip qualities I desire, but they are fast. Casting open loops requires significant adjustments on the casting stroke, leading to a less desirable fishing experience (fatigue, ruining my stroke, among other things). I thought about which ones I take more often to the stream. It’s the fast ones unless I’ve fishing low water and heavy weight isn’t needed.
So, for me the Czech style would be a disaster and the Sage 99 perfect. I don’t have a 99 because I only buy a premium rod if I can fish with it before buying. Casting these nymphing rods in a pond or grassy area at a shop is useless to me. Most shops (I don’t blame them) frown upon people test casting their new rods with shot and beadhead flies. One bad cast and the blank is nicked/scratched.

There may be other moderate –fast rods out there that are long and have a stouter tip. I would be interested in checking these out for myself if anyone knows of such a rod. I bet there are ones that fit the bill. I looked at the Greys stream flex, but it seemed like the tip would be too soft for my fishing style.

Does anyone use a 9'6" 4wt or a 10' 4wt for dry fly fishing? Why or Why not?

Thanks,

I bought a 10' 5wt. VXP last year for trout on bigger water. It is a rocket launcher! I tried to use it in my home fishing creek and it's way to fast and long. I can't see a huge difference between a 4 or 5 in the VXP. I would worry more about action. Depends on what kind of fishing you plan on doing. I would not recommend getting a ultra fast 10' rod if I you plan on fishing smaller waters. I just picked up a One in a 9' 5wt and I feel that's a bit much for smaller streams. I grabbed a 904 access last year and that is more of a general purpose rod compared to the others I mentioned.

Matt,

I have a 10' 4 wt Helios that I bought as a nymphing rod to complement a 9' rod. When I think I am going to be primarily nymphing on a stream that will allow use of the longer rod, I use the 10'. I was out last weekend nymphing and, part way through the day, there were midges and rises. I switched to a Griffith's gnat and the 10' rod worked great. Delivered the fly nicely. I am glad I have both.

mattwolf wrote:
Does anyone use a 9'6" 4wt or a 10' 4wt for dry fly fishing? Why or Why not?

Thanks,

Back