Sage R8 5 weights

Peter Ross

Peter Ross

Thinking a 5-weight Sage R8 Core 596 (9 1/2 foot) or Sage R8 Core 5100 (10 foot) might improve my game and wondering whether any of you have experience with these rods. Of course, I will entertain other suggestions. (I woke up this morning thinking I needed a little forum abuse.)

I've been fly fishing for 50 years though not continuously and have been back in the game for a season after a lengthy hiatus. So my rods are older. I have a Sage 390SP and 690SP in my fairly extensive quiver and recently gave my longtime battle-ax Sage 590SP to a buddy who wants to learn. My 5wt 8'9" Winston LT is a lovely rod, but when fishing wet fly (three flies, full intermediate line) I am wishing I could cast another 10 feet and had more line control for mending. And I would like more line control for mending when indicator nymphing. I have other rods, so dry fly considerations are not a huge concern here. I'm also thinking about a longer bamboo rod for wet fly, but that's another discussion.

I'm guessing the 596 R8 would be a more capable version of my old 590SP but that's based on what I've read and fantasized. But would the 10-foot 5100 be even better. Yes, there are less-expensive rods and yes, I should go to a shop and test cast. The nearest fly shop is about 40 minutes away so that's a time investment. Also, "Honey, I'm heading out for a few hours." "Okay, where are you going?" "To the fly shop." "Oh, what are you getting." "Another fly rod." "WHAT?!?" That vs. arriving quietly via UPS. Also, lawn casting a piece of yarn is not the same as throwing a mess and having to quickly mend on the water. Only fishing experience truly reveals this.

So, any thoughts on a 9 1/2- vs 10-foot 5-weight for indicator nymphing?

On smaller water, I'll use 379 or 486 to nymph....... but.....on big water, my nymph rods are 696 and 610. Big indi, big mending and better reach. Going longer isn't a bad thing if you have need for it. Lots of options out there from $200 - $1200. Hiding it from the wife part is hilarious 😁

I have cast the 596 but not fished it. Felt like a great rod.

For other reasons I bought the orvis 955 blackout and really like that rod. To me it’s an all arounder that I can fish any style and technique with (obv limitation that not fishing big streamers)

If I wanted a rod I figure to only nymph with, a 10’ er is a very good option. Just depends on what you want.

Think of what technique you plan to do more of and go for it! I’ll also say there’s some good lines out there too for things like single hand Spey to fish wet flies that would be good on either of those rods so think about getting a good nymph line and maybe a wet fly line.

Based on experience with the 690SP, a 696 must be a great nymphing rod. For wet fly rigs it might be good to go lighter. Maybe it’s time to check out a 10’er.
Can't beat Orvis for returns. I just returned a 10 1/2 3wt Helios 3 after deciding to delay my introduction to euro nymphing and instead to go for a long 5wt for wet fly and indicator. Didn't even lawn-cast it. A couple of clicks and they sent me a shipping label, no questions. Don't love the looks of the new Orvis rods, though they are distinctive from a distance. The blackout option is much more palatable than the white band. I don't doubt that the latest Helios is superb and would be a great option.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, guys. Ordered the 10-foot, 5wt Sage R8. (Surprisingly challenging to find a selection of these rods in brick-and-mortar fly shops.) It worked very well for wet flies, reaching, mending. Here it is on the Beaver Kill, assisting with the capture of this lovely little brown among others over the June 1 weekend. (The Beaver Kill is a river whose waters flow along Pennsylvania.)

Attachments

• 10-footer.jpg
    10-footer.jpg
    718.2 KB · Views: 33
  • beaverkill-brown.jpg
    beaverkill-brown.jpg
    594.9 KB · Views: 32
Back