Sage Launch

Wildfish

Wildfish

Now that Sage is discontinuing the Launch series rods are super cheap all over the place. Since I just started fly fishing last year I have a very basic set up (cabelas traditional II rod, prestige plus reel). I fish an 8' 5w bc I wanted something short for small streams, but versatile. Now I kind of want something longer for bigger water. I don't really plan to fish much again until after the spawn, maybe even the spring, and was going to shop around for something between now and then in the $250-300 range (rod only). But since the launch is so cheap it has me thinking...

If you have the rod, is it amazing? Will I find anything better for $300 down the road?

I know I know--have to go to the shop and test them, everybody's different, etc etc. But I've also learned to cast the way I do because I have a super fast 8' rod. Once I get something new the "way I cast" will also change a bit. So that said, is it an amazing rod, or just decent for the price?

the price has nothing to do with the rod , you might buy a $ 150 rod that feels better than a $ 600 rod , the launch is a good value , is it the best ? for some yes for others no ,i would take a couple months and travel within reason and test cast as many rods as you can and even look up board members near you and ask them to test cast their rods , u might be surprised what u like about some rods and dislike about others

The Launch is a very good rod for the blow out prices you can find (around $135).

Although more expensive, the new Sage Flight is an extremely good rod for the price (about $300) and much better than the Launch in my opinion. The Flight is basically the Sage Z-Axis rod with less fancy hardware, finish, etc. If you were willing to dump $300 or so I'd buy the Flight over the $135 blow out Launch anytime.

You want an amazing rods, the Sage Z-Axis is an amazing rod, as are any of the Winston rods, but you're talking about a $650+ rod. Incredibly amazing rods are Tom Morgan rods (about $1300).

hi wild fish,i have a sage launch nine foot seven weight.if you are anywhere near philly you are welcome to try it.

keep in mind i normally cast much slower rods of glass or bamboo,but i have to say i think the launch is a pretty good rod.

i took it out for striper in long island and the guide loved it.

i have heard negative comments about the lower priced sages,but i like mine,for a graphite rod.i would use it anytime for steelhead,bass and even large trout.

i don't need a lighter graphite rod,but if i did i would consider another launch.i might look for a nine or eight weight now that i hear they're on sale!

I got the 8.5' 5-wt Launch as a Christmas present last year. I really like the rod, and I am trying to figure out if I can afford another one. The rods are a little heavier (~0.3 oz) than many rods in the $300 range but it does not make a whole lot of difference with the right reel to balance the rod. I primarily use my 5-wt for nymphs, streamers, etc; however, I have successfully fished size 24 midges and tricos on it as well. I do not think you can beat the Sage Launch at the current prices. If you want to spend $300 take a look at the Redington CPX. I have cast these rods a few times and they are pretty nice for the money. I hope this helps.

Lots of great advice has been given. I too am a fan of this rod, especially for the price but I am a Sage guy. I cast this rod and really liked the rod, price aside and that led me to a 9ft 5wt. I've since added a 9ft 4 for nymphing and a 9ft 7wt for Steelies to the quiver. I'm used to the action on that rod though, it's Medium-Medium Fast so if you have a very fast action rod right now, this will likely be an adjustment for you.

Great buy at closeout for a Made in USA rod? Yes, but useless if you don't like it. Troutslammer and Green Weenie have given excellent advice.

I like both of mine. 9ft 8wt & 9 ft 4wt.

Weight, quality, life time warranty, under $200.

You really can't beat it. You may cast something for $170 or $150 but normally it wont be as light or have the quality as the sage and also have a lifetime warranty.

Some other companies do provide a compareable and you might be able to build your own or something for cheap.

Cast it.

If you like it Great!
If not, move on.
But it has my endorsement.

Side note. Sage bought out Reddington. So they are using the same blanks.

I think they getting rid of the launch because they want sage to be "upper priced" and Reddington to be the "affordable" division.

Have the 9' 4wt and love the rod for throwing smaller flies and especially dry flies. Good solid rod at these prices for me. Actually thought about buying another one...

so you guys really like the 4 wt? that makes it hard for me to settle with a a 5wt. What the rod feel like in your hands?

I just bought the Sage VT2 9' 5wt. It retails for $485. I ended up getting it on ebay from anglers habitat for $330. It is an incredible rod and for that price it might be the best. It was a buy it now item/make offer. I offered $330 and it was excepted the next morning and had it at the house 5 days later. I would check out anglers habitat store on ebay if i were you.

not sure but i think i saw a launch at the local fly shop , with a reel on clearance for 199 ?

by bassistjon112 on 2009/11/12 18:04:08

so you guys really like the 4 wt? that makes it hard for me to settle with a a 5wt. What the rod feel like in your hands?

The 4wt is ideal for nymphing, small flys and drys as ConMan said. When you get into throwing weighted streamers, say bigger than a 12 or 14 you really have to adjust your casting style. If I'm fishing bigger water and throwing bigger bugs, I'll throw the 5wt. It's an ideal medium action rod in the 4wt IMHO at a great price. Especially for a 4 piece rod.

I fish the 5wt when I want to cover more water, when I need to cut through wind and am fishing larger flies.

The Launch is on sale in Cabela's Bargain Cave starting at $150. They also have a special for $30 off a $150 order. Nice deal but they probably won't last long.

Oh my the most important question I had is.... Is the 4wt as heavy as the 5wt because I see many people saying the 5wt is kinda on the heavy side.

The 904-4 is listed at 3 7/16 oz and the 905-4 is listed at 3 1/2oz. If you notice a distict difference between the two I'd say you border on OCD. I've found neither rod to be heavy, although there are lighter options but possibly not in this price range. I've personally never found the weight of either of these rods to have any negative impact. If you get the right reel that balances out the rod you'll be very pleased if you're looking for a medium-medium fast action rod. My rod balances nicely with an Orvis Mid Arbor II.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the insight.
I was going to take advantage of the $30 off cabelas deal. But of course a new rod means a new reel, and line, and backing, etc. So while it's a good deal, I think I'll save my money, test some rods, suck it up, and spend what I need to in order to get what I want. I haven't even held a launch, so buying one just to save on the retail price is probably not super wise. Though it does seem like they're great rods.

Wildfish wrote:
So while it's a good deal, I think I'll save my money, test some rods, suck it up, and spend what I need to in order to get what I want. I haven't even held a launch, so buying one just to save on the retail price is probably not super wise. Though it does seem like they're great rods.

You got it...a very wise man. When it comes to fly rods, I tire of writing "one FFers treasure is another FFers trash".....lol.

If a ZXP7IIIX Magnum+/- 897-6, the most highly rated rod in the world is on sale for half price, it looks like a good deal, but it's actually worthless to YOU if you don't like the rod. Take your time and pick a rod YOU really like, and it will serve you and give you pleasure fishing it for a long time. Good luck on your search.

For me I bought a 4wt because it is a tweener rod. I wanted something that could fish a small limestoner and still translate to normal “medium” sized stream. If I am fishing bigger water or if a medium or large creek is pretty high I will take my 8wt Launch instead of the 4wt to throw buggers/ streamers.

It is an extremely light rod for the price IMO.

Like afish said ”IMO” is the most important thing. Cast it some where then you will know if its right.

Back