Sage Fly Reels

U

Upstream

The Orvis Battenkill 5 wt that I have been using for trout for about 20 years is starting to make some noise so i think I want to replace it. I was looking at the reel selection at Cabelas and the Sage Spectrum C caught my eye for it's appearance, feel and price. Any of you have any experience with Sage reels in general or this particular model?

Upstream wrote:
The Orvis Battenkill 5 wt that I have been using for trout for about 20 years is starting to make some noise so i think I want to replace it. I was looking at the reel selection at Cabelas and the Sage Spectrum C caught my eye for it's appearance, feel and price. Any of you have any experience with Sage reels in general or this particular model?

You may choose to send back your BK reel to Orvis for service. There may be a simple fix to get your reel back to good working order.

afish, thanks for the suggestion. I will send the reel to Orvis. Not sure why that didn't occur to me. I know first hand of the great service that Orvis offers. I once returned a 10 year old rod with a broken tip to be repaired. They informed me that they couldn't repair it since the parts were out of stock. They would have to send me a brand new rod. I was blown away.

I have a Sage 2280 and a couple spare spools for it. I have no complaints with it besides it's not as nice as my Galvans. But I didn't expect it to be for the price. I like the 2280 way better than the two Orvis reels I have (especially the 4wt with the loose seat).
I beat the 2280 in the salt, on the beach and in a kayak. It's been on two rods that I've busted in the salt but I haven't broke that reel yet. The drag is not as fine as my Galvans, but way better than my Orvis reels.

I second the Orvis suggestion . I sent them my 30 year old Battenkill and got the clicker repaired the reel cleaned and greased for $30. The reel has more sentimental value than a new one could give me, and feels great to be able to fish it again. good luck.

Back