Sage flight or Launch

fishrich

fishrich

Thinking about a little up grade to a sage and I was wondering if anybody has one of these rods ? How do they handle ? pros and cons? What size and weight do you have ?ANd what line your using?

"How do they handle ?"

The only valuable response to that question would come from casting it yourself. You may hate it or you may cast it and be completely sold. But as the number of different points of view on this board should show, only you can make that decision. Good luck and cast a few other brands as well if you are going to spend that much.

I agree with Tom. While I am a big Sage fan, try casting a bunch of different rods and choose the one that fits best.

BTW, as a guideline, the Sage Flight is medium fast and the Launch is more of a meduim action. They are both decent rods, cast both side-by-side (same weight and length) to pick the one the best suits you. As I said earlier, cast a bunch of other rods for comparison, and don't worry about which logo is on the rod. Good luck.

I have 2 sage rods and love them both. But, as mentioned, cast a few different rods. If you are going to spend your money on it, then you want to make sure you get something you enjoy fishing with. I have the XP but I believe they don't have that model anymore and if they do, they changed the name of it. Have fun shopping.

The Sage Launch gets outclassed by basically all the import rods in it's price. The Flight about does too, but is a much better rod. It's a lot better than the Fli was. What makes me sour about the Fli was the 8 wt that really could not do the job. The trout weights were much more serviceable.

I cast a Flight and it was quite nice. The 8 wt was pretty good too but a bit too stiff. Not much feel.

The Flight is a step-up from the Fli but in that range, it's really hard to beat the Redington CPX. (THat is if it's much like the CPS, which is just a great fast action rod.)
I'm all about buying American, but if I wasn't and couldn't find a way to get pro-deals, I'd have all imported rods now.

Syl

I purchased a Sage Fli a couple years ago. I got a 9' 2pc 5wt. It's a great rod. Fast action and only weighs 3.5oz.
I chose it over a St Croix Legend Ultra. They both weigh the same, but the Sage has a better taper with better lighter guides.
It's now discontinued!!
I also bought a Redington CPS for full price...... now they are discontinued.
Also check out the new St Croix Imperial rods. The specs look really good at a modest price.
Finally, and I saved the best for last. Check out Orvis Clearwater II rods.
I have a lovely 2pc 4wt 8'6" rod that weighs only 2.7oz.
It's my fav rod. It's med-fast action and is so light you can't even feel it in your hand. It's a beautiful graphite black with a black reel seat....... I really don't like all the stupid bright colors of most new rods.

I received an 8'6" 5wt Launch for Christmas and have no complaints thus far. I have yet to fish dry flies on it, but it does a good job loading weighted flies and roll casting them as well. I think that it is a good rod for the price.

I have a Sage Launch and have been very pleased with its performance. For the money - It is a heck of a deal. I have the 8'6" 5wt. and is a great all arounder for most PA typical trout streams...

Back