Sage 99

mushumatt

mushumatt

Does anyone have a Sage 99? And can give me your input on them? I am looking for a purely nymph/midge rod, hence why ive gravitated towards the 99. I am looking at a 4wt 99, but the only thing holding me back is getting just a 9 1/2 4wt ONE.

Fredrick does and he lives by you. He might be willing to let you mess around with it.

Terry at A marble head is gonna let me fool around with one, but ill contact fredrick. Trying to get peoples input who owns one.

Fredrick's 99 was mine before I sold it to him.

The 99 has a stiff tip, and a softer mid and butt section than say, a Z-Axis. This makes for a rod that can sling some heavy stuff, but isn't so good at protecting light tippets.

If you want a great indicator nymphing rod, the 99 is your huckleberry. Not so good for midging. It also can really boom out long casts with dry flies.

More than any other rod I've ever sold, I regret selling the 99. It did so much, so well - but not midging. Wasn't a big deal for me, as I hate midging. Best way I can describe the action would be a 4wt butt and mid section, with a 5wt tip.

Thank you so much you have helped alot.

Would a sage 99 make a good steelhead rod in the 6 or 7 wt models?

I might be able to help you out .

I just ordered my 99, realized you cant trust anyone in this sport.

mushumatt wrote:
I just ordered my 99, realized you cant trust anyone in this sport.

What's that all about?

Oh no I just walked into a fly shop and got belittled and didn't need that especially after finding out i hurt my knee and may need surgery. I posted about this secret stream, and not that I spent hours on this stream formulating specific patterns and ways to use them. Standing in 15 degree weather fishing and learning more about this secret location. This man has helped me in my facets of fly fishing; but I guess the hours upon hours I spent fishing this stream, countless rig changes, and numerous ways of fishing this stream doesn't mean anything. I guess everything I formulated from my own reasoning from my time on this stream is really only someone else's ideas... And people really wonder why I hate living in SE PA... Take me home country roads.

Back