S.E. Bogdan Reel - should I use it?

K

kb3lms

Hi everyone,

First post here. I'm returning to fly fishing after about 35 years of kid activities, etc. that prevented fly fishing. My father had collected many pieces of higher-end fly gear that I have inherited which have sat in the basement for 25 years or so. Over the holiday season I have been cleaning and sorting and one piece I discovered is an S.E. Bogdan reel. It appears to be the "Trout" model from what I can see on various tackle websites. Furthermore, these reels seem to sell for $2000 to $3000. This reel looks like it has never been used.

Obviously. it appears to be a very nice reel. S.E. Bogdan also appears to be out of business. I do not know about the collectability of these things. Can I fish with it? Would that ruin it's value?

Thanks,
Jason

Personally, I wouldn't fish it unless it's already pretty beat up. It will lose value if it's near mint now and you add scratches, bend the frame, etc.

You're not wrong about the selling price.

I believe Mr. Bogdan has passed on. Personally, I would never fish it.

I disagree with not using it. Although it wouldn't be the main reel I would use on a daily basis, its an awesome piece of equipment that is meant to be used. I would pair it with a nice bamboo rod, if it is in fact for trout, or use it for steelhead, if it's large enough. If it gets a few marks from wear and tear, who cares, that's what happens to a reel. If you really need the $2K-$3K now, sell it. Who's to say it will be worth much 20 years from now. It probably will but maybe not. The world is crazy.

kb3lms wrote:
Hi everyone,

First post here. I'm returning to fly fishing after about 35 years of kid activities, etc. that prevented fly fishing. My father had collected many pieces of higher-end fly gear that I have inherited which have sat in the basement for 25 years or so. Over the holiday season I have been cleaning and sorting and one piece I discovered is an S.E. Bogdan reel. It appears to be the "Trout" model from what I can see on various tackle websites. Furthermore, these reels seem to sell for $2000 to $3000. This reel looks like it has never been used.

Obviously. it appears to be a very nice reel. S.E. Bogdan also appears to be out of business. I do not know about the collectability of these things. Can I fish with it? Would that ruin it's value?

Thanks,
Jason

Wow, a valuable reel indeed.

It is a collectors item. With the money you can buy quite a few "fishing" reels. You may want to hold on to it as a keep-sake of your father, though. The choice is yours.

Here is a someone you can contact to sell it if you choose.

https://www.spinozarods.com/collections/se-bogdan-fly-reels

Good luck.

3K.......... SOLD! I'd put that right in the bank. the great thing about memories are the best and most meaningful ones are not attached to tangible items. Let's face it, it's nothing but an old clunky reel that was forgotten about so I wouldn't use it and I sure wouldn't keep it as a display piece. I'd sell it in a heartbeat if I could find a fool willing to give me 3 grand or even 2 grand for it.

The fact that you are discussing the value and asking if it should be fished tells me that you'll be really pissed when you fall and ding the reel.

PennKev wrote:
The fact that you are discussing the value and asking if it should be fished tells me that you'll be really pissed when you fall and ding the reel.

You summarized what I was trying to say nicely.

If he hadn't mentioned retaining its value, I would have said "fish it."

You say it appears to have never been used, so I would say to keep it that way. Mint unused reels like that one command the highest prices. Get one scratch on it and you could lose $1000. Either sell it now and pocket the cash or keep it for your kids. Stuff like that in mint condition is rare for a reason.

Well, for the time being, I plan on keeping the Bogdan.

But with regards to keeping it in mint condition, Dad left me plenty of good rods and reels (and flies) to fish with. Maybe it will get an occasional outing with the Wes Jordan rod on nice Sunday evenings.

The reason I was asking about using it is that I collect old cameras and I use them all. Now that I have read your opinions and done some more research, I see that collectible fishing gear holds much more value than old cameras, which only seem to matter to people that want to use them.

Just don’t let that rig on the roof of your vehicle and pull out of the parking area. WOOW!!, would that make your day. :cry

Back