running line for shooting heads

S

scotto

for anyone who uses a shooting head system, what kind of running line do you use and why? I am thinking of using shooting heads w/ my 7,8 & 9 weight to add vesitility w/o a bunch of lines. Will be used in salt for stripers/blues and fresh water for muskies/bass. Thanks.

amnesia was state of the art because it won't coil or kink if you straighten it out-don't know about the new stuff-20 is enough
trick with shooting heads is to get several sizes heavier then your rod weight-then carefully start trimming from BUTT end[not tippet] until it balances with your rod at distances you will be casting-once you have determined how much to cut-just repeat on other lines-this allows you to have shorter,easier handling shooting heads-bring in until a few feet from the butt connection and double haul.The shortened head also cuts down on wind resistance-big help on big wide open waters.

Amnesia is ok, but now adays rio quick shooter is better, than there is cortland braided line. I have used this for many years now and love it. No stretching , no coils, just watch the fingers if a big fish runs its rough. shoots a mile, and whats nice you can permantly attach the head if you want to..

Sandfly,

what pound test for the fishing I described?

Thanks

i use Rio Powerflex Core Shooting Line on my scandi shooting heads. I like because unlike Rio's Slickshooter it doesn't need stretched before each use. Comes in three weights and colors from 20,25 and 35. I use the 25# green line on a scandi spey rod for throwing overhead cast for bass and pike.
Just my two cents.

jcspey

Back