Ruffed Grouse feathers

W

whitesidewalls

As a beginning fly tier, I was wondering where to get some Ruffed Grouse tail feathers. They are called for in the recipe of the older style "Breadcrust" wet fly. Any help will be appreciated.

wsw - Try contacting a "pay to shoot" hunting preserve. They often clean the stocked birds that their customers shoot and are only too happy to give away the feathers (they just throw them out anyway). Finding the right color feathers might be a little tougher. If you have friends that hunt, you might ask them to help you out.

While the breadcrust is a fly that surely works, I think that a lot of it's reputation is based on nostalgia. Lots of other flies work just as well, and the materials are a whole lot easier to come by, and take a lot less work. More "bang for the buck" so to speak, especially for a beginning tier.

If you just have to try (we've all been there), maybe this will help you out - good luck!

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/082806fotw.php

I'd love to shoot one someday. I usally flush 3 or 4 while deer hunting through the year, but never go back for them with the shotgun. Fast little buggers they are!

It may sound silly, but keep an eye peeled when you're in the woods anywhere that a grouse might frequent. It isn't really unusual to find a tail feather now and then, particularly in the Spring when they get a little goofy during the drumming/mating thing.

About half the ones I've got over the years, I found this way.

The other half came from the grand total of four grouse I ever shot (out of probably 50 I shot at..), all when I was 14, many, many, many years ago..

I'll have to dig through my stuff, I know one year I kept the feathers from at least three, but have never used them other than wing feathers for nymph wing cases, the rest are buried somewhere. I'll try to find some.

Boyer

Gosh I am feeling like a wetnet! For all of you new fly tyers a couple of feathers from a well meaning friend can cause allot of damage. Nothing to to do with the previous reply but not all free feathers are fine but as a caution to saving a few dollars (with the exception of grouse feathers that I have never seen sold commericially since they don't breed in capitivity) you need to protect your materials. There are all sort of mites and microcopic bugs that will destroy your collection. Moth balls usually do the job. Also know that unless you possess a proper license you cannot pick up road kill unless it is in season and count it as your season limit. I know some here will bust me but I'd refrain from using materials unless they have been properly processed. My Father-in-law was the most awesome fiddler. After he died I had his horesehair bow restrung and in less than a year the bow unused was ruined due to microscopic carpet beatles that had lived in the case. There wasn't any sign of bugs ever!

Back