Rubber Soled Wading Boots

P

PSH

I have been thinking about buying rubber-soled wading boots to replace felts. The Korkers boot offered through TU looks good, but expensive. Anyone have any experience on the best type of rubber soled boots?

I bought the Orvis zip on Borgue's with their new ecotrax sole with new carbide cleats. I have yet to use them, been so hot hard to wear waders, and water temps are up also.

I use a set of ice creeper (chains) I purchased from Cabela's for about 17 bucks. They go on and come off easy and hold well on slippery rocks.

I bought a pair of Greys studed rubber soles at the Feathered Hook in Coburn for $100 and LOVE THEM. Now we will see how they hold up.

Really they are "da bomb." I am a felt with studs lover and was wearing Korkers with felts and no studs that are wearing out at the toe. I have replaced the soles (felts, felts with stids, felts again) 3x on my own and they are wearing out again.

I loved the korkers portable soles but the rubber edges can send you into the drink if yer not careful.

So I broke down and bought the Platinums from Jonus...He said they are made and sold by Greys but are a different name, I forget, no matter, did I tell ya I LOVE THEM!

Bought them at the Jamboree and am back to wading Penns like I am walking down a side walk.

(was wading penns' like I was walking on the sidewalk)

Damn, I need a pair of those!

PaulG

Maurice,I'd like to know the name,like Paul.I need all the help I can get. GG

I haven't owned a pair of felt-soled boots in a few years now. I have two pairs of rubber-soled wading boots and absolutely love them much more than my previous felt-soled studded boots. I have one pair with studs and one light-weight pair without (they make great boat shoes for driftboat/potoon boat trips that don't allow studded boots.) Both are LL Bean models, the studded ones are River Treads ($149), the other pair are the $69 Emergers. Bean's legendary guarantee comes with them too!

gulfgreyhound wrote:
Maurice,I'd like to know the name,like Paul.I need all the help I can get. GG

Art,

They are Greys Platinum model boots. Made by Hardy of England.

Call Jonas at the Shop

http://thefeatheredhook.com/index.html

I bought a pair of Simms Guide Boots (retail about $200) with the Streamtread Vibram Soles when they first became available (early spring 2009). The first time I used them I was convinced they are as good or better than feltsoles. I bought the carbide studs but did not install them until early this spring. IMO this is the best wading shoe on the market today. They are expensive but as they say you get what you pay for!

I got the Simms Rivershed boots with vibram a couple of months ago and love them. Will never get felt again.

i think the rubber soles are good as long as your cleats aren't wore down , when they do ...look out , felt for me all the way with carbide studs , i had rubber .....no way !

troutslammer, the new rubber soles are much better than rubber soles of the past. The "Simms Streamtread Vibram" soles are very much improved from the old Aquastealth designs. The first year I used my "Simms Guide Boots" without the carbide studs with no problems at all. The only reason I installed the studs this spring was to see if the studs made any difference. I must say I have not noticed much of a difference in traction. I also have a pair of "Chota" felt soles with studs to base my comparison. The rubber soles are IMO better!

thats what i am using chota felt with carbide , holding up good and stick to the bottom like sheeet on a wool blanket

FYI, for those with the Simms boots, I was advised by a friend who fishes daily that the Chota carbide studs fit and work perfectly in the Simms boots and cost $6 versus $30 - $40 for the Simms.

BTW, use the Search function in the upper left hand corner of this forum and search for common words regarding these boots as there are tons of previous discussions on the matter. Try search words like "Vibram" , "Studs", "Felt", etc.

I am over 60, if It doesn't have felt or studs I will not buy or use them.

The Chota studs wear out much quicker than the Simms carbide. I know from experience. I replaced the studs in my Chotas more times than I feel I should have. IMO the Chota studs are soft. The Simms studs at this point show NO wear at all! This is because the Simms are made from 45+ Rockwell hardened steel and the end of the screw has carbide steel pellets welded in place. They call them "Hardbite" for a reason. By the way I do not work for Simms LOL. Tight lines to everyone!

the chota studs are the same as simms , they are carbide and DON'T wear out and i am in them 3-4 times a week ! and they are NOT 6 dollars for 20 , more like 20 dollars for 20 , the old hex screws that chota used did wear out but thats old technology

Sorry about that I did'nt know that Chota had updated their studs. My experience was with the old style and we both agree that they did not last. As long as they work that's all that matters in the end anyway. Good feedback. Take care and tight lines!

Back