Rubber Bugger material

brookieaddict

brookieaddict

I bought a dozen of these Rubber Buggers at the Orvis store in Ligonier. They catch fish, wild,stocked,spookie, or lethargic and i'm thinking about calling them Trout Crack. Does anyone know where they are getting the rubber legs that are palmered over the chennile??

ba,

There is soft hackle material that has rubber "legs" wound in.

The ones at the shop in Ligonier ( I saw them too and asked Jim Hall at the shop about it) and he has that material but his are tied in one at a time. If you can find the stuff that Mkern mentioned, that sounds much easier.

I have only seen it once, and I couldn't tell you where, but I'm pretty sure it was only while serching for other materials.

I did a quick Google check of the rubber bugger legs, as others prob have. It appears the Montana Fly Company (MFC) sells the material, though none seemed to be formed onto a wrap to create a hackle-style material. Rather, it appears to be various colorations and thicknesses in strands.
However, according to its Web site, MFC sales are restricted to retailers, and it has no listing of any PA retailers.
I don't know if it's the same material, but a suitable material is found as hair on inexpensive "troll" dolls. It's relatively fine and for me makes a good wrap for black fly larvae and caddis pupae. Some fabric stores also carry some materials that appear to be made from the same or similar material, which I assume to be a silicon "rubber".

Wild turkey beards are excellent too! Alittle on the stiff side but do become flexible in water

I want to clarify...

It's not actually hackle, but a synthetic "rope" that has rubber strands and fuzzy material extending from a center cord.

I'm sure you could make it with a dubbing twister using rubber legs, and antron (or something else fuzzy when spun, like translucent dubbing).

Thanks for the replys i found it at www.thehook&hackleco.com in several different colors although their web page wouldnt load a pic. Im going to order one in every color and ill let you know as soon as i get a new camera lol. B.A.

I believe the site is www.hookhack.com They're from PA

I've ordered from them before and they have a great amount of fly fishing equipment... especially for the rod builders among us. I saw them at the fly show in Cranberry a few years back and will probably continue to order some stuff from them.

brookieaddict wrote:
Thanks for the replys i found it at www.thehook&hackleco.com in several different colors although their web page wouldnt load a pic. Im going to order one in every color and ill let you know as soon as i get a new camera lol. B.A.

Try www.thekingfisherflyshop.com. They are a great shop in Missoula that has about every item the Montana fly company sells, or can get it. I'm pretty sure they have it. NO tax, no shipping. You'll have it in 4-5 days.

Syl

Could it be this guy's stuff? He has a couple of types that may fill the bill.

http://www.dougswisher.com/index.htm

John

Try these for bass as well. I have tied these up with the stuff MKern is talking about and have pounded the some LMBs with these flies. Has fish following for 4 or 5 feet before the take. Have not used them for trout yet.

International Angler in da Burgh has it.

Which International Angler location Bruno? Was at the Robinson store today and didn't see it, then again I wasn't actively looking for it.

Brand/name?

Thanks!

FYI, I think this is the stuff:

http://www.orvis.com/intro.asp?subject=3208&bhcp=1

Doug Swisher stuff is what you are looking for, I am a dealer. but don't keep much in stock, orders mostly.call of pm me

Orvis just started selling a dubbing material with the rubber stuff built in. I bought some and I really like it but it can be a pain in the butt to dubb on. The best method I have found is to create a dubbing loop and use a good amount of wax. I have not tried any of the flies I have tied with it but I imagine they will crush fish.

Also, one of the patterns I have used this for recently is a caddis larvae and it really does a great job of imitating the caddis case with sticks and stuff coming out. I think it will be very effective once I get it on the water.

Back